Money moves to make if you’re forced to retire
• 5 biggest regrets of retirees
• When to take your retirement cash early
• 10 year-end money moves for near-retirees
Two health-care firms are happiest places to work
• Weird workplace gifts
House bill an end-run on
in-flight phone calls
• Apple may roll out iPhones with bigger screens
• Apple curved-screen manufacturing patented
Highlights of rainy Mandela memorial at Soccer City
• Mandela ally: Our long walk is just beginning
• Nelson Mandela’s imperfect legacy
• Obama snaps a selfie at Mandela memorial
• A look back at Mandela’s life, in pictures
• Europe stocks struggle amid taper talk
• HP's Whitman: Desktops are not dead
• Dollar treads water but losses m ay be in store
• Oil bides times ahead of U.S. supply figures
• Gold backs off three-week high
• Volcker rule details will prove devilish: analysts
• Merrill Lynch sees S&P at 2,000 in 2014
• Swiss banks agree to U.S. plan on tax evasion
• S&P 500 eases from record level
Banks drop in Shanghai, Hong Kong
China's move toward more market-based interest rates raises concerns about short-term pressure on bank profits.
• China's top banks get more freedom on rates
• Japan October core machinery orders up 0.6%
• GM ending vehicle production in Australia
• Australia eases Yancoal ownership curbs
5 ‘Made in the U.S.’ products China wants
Five biggest U.S. exports to China so this year.
Why your rent is so damn high
Americans forking over half their salaries to landlords are becoming bigger slice of pie.
Getting big mortgage gets tougher
Maximum FHA mortgage next year will go down to $625,500.
• Reeves: Are housing’s gains over?
When it’s better to rent a home
For many retirees, signing a lease beats a mortgage, conventional wisdom aside
Market could be at dangerous triple top
What Mark Hulbert sees depends on whether market data are inflation-adjusted.
• Michael Ashbaugh charts resilient bull market
Household net worth vs. GDP
Household wealth is historically 3.7 times GDP. Today it's at 4.6.
• Household net worth expands by $1.9 trillion
• October job openings rise to 3.93 million
What if Fed blows bubble as it tapers?
Next year could be a bumpy one for credit markets, influential Deutsche Bank strategist says.
• Irwin Kellner: Taper once again at center stage
- Loading more headlines...
10 states where college is most affordable
States where it's least costly for in-state students to attend a public institution of higher learning.
• Young Americans missing out on job gains
Iowa wins waiver for modified Medicaid expansion plan
Feds OK plan for Iowans that would allow a modified Medicaid-expansion program in that state through the offering of what is known as premium assistance.
You may not need
as much to retire
Robert Powell explains what you really need, though it's a bit complicated.
• Should you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• Avoid 401(k) tax hit on early withdrawals
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
Some strange presents are being exchanged at the office, and a warning for your pets this holiday.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner