is the hottest in a year
Look twice at most hated market in the world: Russia Commentary: This stock market is priced for the worst to happen, and that means smart investors could find some bargains, writes Matthew Lynn.
German economy isn’t as strong as Europe believes
Commentary: The euro zone shouldn't expect Germany to lead the recovery, writes Satyajit Das.
• Deutsche Bank sees 11K on the DAX
• Germany powers modest euro-zone growth
• Spain's services sector grew in November
• European stocks wobble | Sage Group lifts FTSE
Most corrupt countries
Abuse of power, secret dealings and bribery remain serious problems across two-thirds of the world, according to corruption-fighting group.
• Goldman tips solid gain for Hong Kong plays
• Libya, Iraq, Iran pose big problems for OPEC
Bromance: Bill Gross, John Bogle
Bill Gross praises Vanguard founder John Bogle in his monthly newsletter.
Tax moves and trading tips for year-end
There is still time for investors to make some portfolio adjustments that can create tax savings, writes Aaron Katsman.
Congress punishes commuters in 2014
The tax break on transit costs will be slashed nearly in half.
Retirement savings: The Great Divide
Only about half of boomers are saving enough to cover at least their basic retirement expenses, but the news is even worse for younger savers.
You may need less to retire than you think
Robert Powell looks at some findings from the head of retiremement research at Morningstar.
lllinois reforms its pensions
Illinois lawmakers back a higher retirement age and lower COLAs to shore up one of the shakiest U.S. pension systems.
• 2 big myths about Illinois pension reform
• Detroit pensions can be cut in bankruptcy
• Judge rules Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy
• Stock futures pull back on strong ADP data
• Express plunges after poor Thanksgiving sales
• Government shutdown risk is rising
• U.S. trade deficit drops 5.4% in October
• OPEC keeps production ceiling unchanged
• Oil futures keep climbing after U.S. supply drop
• EU fines banks €1.7 bln over benchmark fixing
• Nikkei suffers biggest drop since late October
• Man behind the Doritos Locos Taco dies
• White House studied ‘platinum coin' option
• Ex-Tyco CEO Kozlowski to be released from jail
How to get a $100 break on gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap it up at an 8% discount.
• Gold holds tight with U.S. jobs report looming
10 tricks that make you spend more
What to watch out for when shopping this holiday season.
• Are smarter shoppers hurting retail sales?
• How to save on holiday shopping and stay sane
Upside to adjustable mortgages
Wealthy borrowers are sticking with their loans even after the fixed-rate period ends.
• Mortgage applications fell 12.8% in week
From the editor
Engage with MarketWatch
Editor Glenn Hall wants to hear how you use MarketWatch and will share developments in his new blog.
• Check out MarketWatch's market tools
Joe Biden is huge in China
One reason is noodles.
• China faces huge natural-gas shortage (Caixin)
• Asia's craving for chocolate to rise, says Cargill
• China’s yuan is No. 2 currency for trade finance
The real car sales are in China
A look at car sales around the globe.
• Ford readies a new Mustang for sports-car fans
• Best Ford Mustang models of the past 50 years
Pope called a commie for obeying Jesus
Commentary: Pope Francis is just doing what Jesus would do: Embracing the poor, reports Al Lewis.
• Pope Francis attacking greed, not capitalism
• J.P. Morgan economist’s critique
Men’s makeup: One guy’s quest not to shine
- Loading more headlines...
home prices lag
The failure of housing prices in some states to recover hints at a lopsided recovery.
• 30-year mortgage rate rises again: Zillow
3 stock-market gifts that keep on giving
Fundamental changes have made the market cheaper, more stable and more profitable for retirement-minded savers.
• Pimco fund sees seventh month of outflows
Problems with mutual funds
Chuck Jaffe offers mutual-fund providers a seven-point investor wish list for this holiday season.
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
Needham's Sean McGowan says Hasbro and Mattel have been slugging it out for decades.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner