New York Markets Close in:
Insight: Now summer's gone, these news stories will define the rest of the year, says Marek Fuchs.
Time to hit the books
It's September, and with the kids back in school, our group of experts offer ideas on how to profit from the season.
• School time may be the right time for Apple
• 3 stocks to rock back-to-school season
• A lesson in buying low in a high group
• See complete report here
America’s 10 fastest-growing retailers
• Teens want tech vs. back-to-school clothes
• You're paying for things the wrong way
Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car
• Google driverless car nowhere near ready
• Auto makers ask: Is this as good as it gets?
Apple fixes iCloud flaw suspected in celebrity hack
• Apple investigating reports of iCloud hack
• iWatch must set right price from the start
New Ford Mustangs hit the assembly line in Flat Rock
• Test drive: The 2015 Corvette 8-speed auto
• The most-hated car company in the U.S. is ...
• Honda Fit: The perfect back-to-school special
10 companies that control the world’s food
• Americans are eating a bit better: study
• 6 real culprits making American kids fat
• Cantor gets $3.5 mln from new Wall Street job
• Apple, Dollar General gain; Conn’s crumbles
• Dollar General ups Family Dollar bid to $80/share
• Norwegian Cruise to buy Prestige Cruises
• U.S. home prices up 1.2% in July: CoreLogic
• EU to decide on more Russia sanctions Friday
• Surge in support for Scottish independence
• European stocks waver | FTSE 100 gains
• Luxottica falls, Weir gains: European movers
• Can the New York Stock Exchange be saved?
• U.S. economy still hitting speed bumps
• Joan Rivers is on life support
iDreamSky shares soar as quiet period ends
Analyst calls the U.S.-listed company an 'emerging force' in China.
Aging population faces housing shortage
A new report says that there won’t be enough affordable, physically accessible and well-located housing for the country’s oldest adults.
How to pick the right MLP fund
Master limited partnerships based in this area can add an effective income stream to your portfolio, says RetireMentor Michael Fabian.
Obama midterm strategy: Do no harm
Obama's task in the midterm elections. Plus, Republicans plan concessions.
• Russian duty-free store ‘bans’ Obama
Is Draghi’s finger on the QE trigger?
What data to watch for as investors wait to find out whether ECB chief Mario Draghi will act.
• French 2-year yield turns negative for first time
• Contraction in German GDP confirmed
• EU’s new leaders: Pole, Italian
Passive investing will keep gaining ground
Passive investing still has ‘tremendous runways,’ says Chris Philips, a senior analyst at Vanguard.
• Active funds may take 100% of your gains
Is your ‘alternative’ fund a ticking time bomb?
Commentary: Most people who own “alternative mutual funds” have no idea what they’ve got in their portfolio, writes Chuck Jaffe.
• Data point to an encouraging correlation
• Gayed: Europe needs to stop the insanity
• Synaptics has the right touch (Barron's)
Make your kid rich for $1 a day
RetireMentors: This extremely modest investment can yield $4 million when your child reaches age 65, says Paul Merriman.
• How to avoid 4 traps that wreck retirement
• Estate-planning issues when age gap is large
• 5 ways to make sure you can afford retirement
6 books Bills Gates says you should read
Microsoft founder Bill Gates has recommended books on business, finance and Obamacare — as well as a romantic comedy.
Educational apps for kids worth every penny
There are plenty of apps for all kinds of devices that don’t offer pricey in-app purchases and can enrich your kids.
5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada
Burger King followed Tim Horton’s across the border. Should you do the same?
• 5 reasons Americans are unhappy
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner