Tokyo Markets Close in:
Stock buybacks blamed for lack of U.S. prosperity
Tesla jump-started as Stifel slaps $400 target on stock
• August to show momentum in car sales
• Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car
• Google driverless car nowhere near ready
• U.S.’s most-hated car company is ...
• New Mustang hits Ford assembly line in Mich.
• Test drive: Corvette 8-speed automatic
• For car makers, is this as good as it gets?
• Back-to-school Honda | Car-free millennials
5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada
• 5 reasons Americans are unhappyy
Boomers vs. millennials: How we pay for thingsBoomers vs. millennials: How we pay for things
Sally French and Tom Bemis contrast the benefits and downsides of debit vs. credit, cash vs. virtual.
• Teens want tech vs. back-to-school clothes
• You're paying for things the wrong way
Atlantic City: How to save the Boardwalk Empire
• Cleveland is mounting a Rust Belt rebound
America’s 10 fastest-growing retailers
The worst thing about flying? The people
Time to hit the books
It's September, and with the kids back in school, our group of experts offer ideas on how to profit from the season.
• School time may be the right time for Apple
• 3 stocks to rock back-to-school season
• A lesson in buying low in a high group
• See complete report here
• J.P. Morgan may sell oil-supply agreement
• Home Depot investigating possible data breach
• Dollar General ups its Family Dollar bid
• Hong Kong stocks advance after China data
• Japan stocks head for a third day of gains
• S&P 500 ends lower, but clings to 2,000
• Norwegian Cruise Line to buy Prestige Cruises
• EU to decide on more Russia sanctions Friday
• U.S. manufacturers tally up late-summer sizzle
• Markit: Final Aug. manufacturing PMI at 57.9
• U.S. home prices up 1.2% in July: CoreLogic
HSBC China services PMI rebounds
HSBC's China services PMI rose to a 17-month high, while sub-index readings pointed to a mixed picture of recovery.
• China official services PMI edges up in August
Soon you might be awash in job offers
Here's some good news for young "boomerangers" who moved back in with their parents after college because jobs were scarce.
Why Eric Cantor is going to Wall Street
Commentary: Investment bank is an escape hatch for a stalled career in politics, writes David Weidner.
• Eric Cantor cashing —$3.5 million a year
• Maybe Cantor payday shouldn’t raise eyebrows
Annuities aren’t all bad
RetireMentors: Stan Haithcock offers a quick primer on the many types of annuities that are available.
5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada
Burger King followed Tim Horton’s across the border. Should you do the same?
• 5 reasons Americans are unhappy
Conn’s low-credit financing could be a time bomb
About 77% of Conn’s retail sales are paid for by in-house financing.
Blue-cheese bobbing at Buffalo chicken wing fest
The weekend’s signature event involved a kiddie pool filled with 20 gallons of Marie’s blue-cheese dressing and a group of goggle-clad competitors.
• Americans are eating a bit better: study
• 6 real culprits making American kids fat
Strength of Scotland ‘yes’ backing costs pound
The British pound drops after a key poll shows support for Scottish independence jumps just two weeks ahead of a public referendum.
• Surge in support for Scottish independence
iDreamSky shares soar as quiet period ends
Analyst calls the U.S.-listed company an “emerging force” in China.
Tiny biotech takes real ice-bucket challenge
Opinion: Neuralstem may have an ALS therapy on the market in two years, writes Michael Brush.
Aging population faces housing shortage
A new report says that there won’t be enough affordable, physically accessible and well-located housing for the country’s oldest adults.
Educational apps for kids worth every penny
There are plenty of apps for all kinds of devices that don’t offer pricey in-app purchases and can enrich your kids.
How to pick the right MLP fund
RetireMentors: Master limited partnerships based in this area can add an effective income stream to your portfolio, says Michael Fabian.
That ‘safe’ money-market fund may be at risk
Insight: 401(k) investors need to rethink money markets in advance of new SEC rules, says Robert Powell.
• Is your ‘alternative’ fund a ticking time bomb?
September starts with bullish technical backdrop
Analysis: S&P and Nasdaq have sustained breaks to less-charted territory, while Dow is challenging resistance, reports Mike Ashbaugh.
The four stock-market ‘stories’ to watch till 2015
Commentary: For investors, reality kicks in today, writes Marek Fuchs.
Hong Kong H-shares index up 0.4% at 11,009.91
Hong Kong's Hang Seng opens up 0.2% at 24,786.04
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner