Tokyo Markets Close in:
• No more living on the wrong side of the tracks
Millennials, you’re paying for things the wrong way
• E-cigarettes hooking more high school kids
• Parents, stop paying off kids’ student loans
Here’s what Chinese solar-panel makers predict
• How China is keeping a lid on U.S. gas prices
‘Bubble’ talk as Snapchat hits $10 billion valuation
• Twitter CEO: Snapchat’s valuation ‘not absurd’
• Snapchat gets $10 billion valuation
Forget bedbugs — these bugs are bigger worries
• 10 businesses profiting from germaphobia
• Scientists seek to map bedbug genome
The most hated car company in America is ...
• Guess who owns the world’s only purple Tesla?
• Google car may mean cheaper car insurance
Passive investing will keep gaining ground: Vanguard
• Passive investing is now the mainstream
Why Ferguson, Mo., matters for investors Opinion: The friction between protesters and police in this St. Louis suburb is also about economic opportunity, writes David Weidner.
• Who wants to invest in Ferguson, Mo., now?
• The Ferguson, Mo., you don’t know
• 10 good things you don’t know about Ferguson
• Ferguson’s rage has roots in China, Mexico
Zara pulls ‘concentration camp’ pajamas off market
• Asia stock markets: Latest quotes
• S&P 500 holds at 2,000 as stocks finish flat
• After Hours: Williams-Sonoma, Guess drop
• FBI probes possible hacking at J.P. Morgan
• French unemployment hits new record
• Yelp, WebMD on Goldman’s M&A list
• Bond yields move to historic lows in Germany
• H-P surpasses IBM as No. 1 in server sales
Alibaba's new U.S. perch for M&A
Analysis: Alibaba's new U.S. headquarters in San Francisco will have a lofty view of the local startup community, writes Therese Poletti.
• Alibaba rules China mobile commerce for now
• Alibaba profit, revenue surge ahead of IPO
real-estate ‘rewards program’
China’s top property developer partners with Alibaba’s Taobao on a rewards program that can cut 10% off the purchase of a home. (Caixin)
• China’s housing plunge sparks clashes
• Qantas hits record loss but sees profit ahead
• Asia still the diamond in Tiffany’s jewelry box
Top market timer
Insight: Mark Hulbert looks at the latest from Sam Eisenstadt, one of the best at calling the market.
• What S&P did last 2 times Fed started hiking
• Who’ll hike rates first: Fed or Bank of England?
• Don’t ignore the ‘buts’ in Draghi hints at QE
• French leader keeps up pressure on ECB to act
Four traps wrecking your retirement
There are many ways to undermine retirement savings, but these four traps are easy to avoid, says Paul Merriman.
• Estate-planning issues when age gap is large
Who loses if Russia shuts gas valve?
As winter nears and tensions in eastern Ukraine mount, Russia gives several European Union countries another reason to worry: natural gas.
• Russia plans to halt gas flow to EU: Ukraine
• Explosion shakes BP refinery in Indiana
L.A. may hike its minimum wage
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (pictured) reportedly wants to raise the city's minimum wage to $13.25 an hour.
• Joe Biden heads to secret fundraisers
• ‘Iron is hot’ to act on tax inversions, Levin says
Facebook’s worst enemy? Not Google
Shares of Facebook have rallied close to 40% this year, but the bull run could stall early next year.
• Twitch users like watching others play games
• Morrissey book outsells Amazon phone
Big U.S. banks prepare to make even more money
Analysis: A rise in interest rates will help them earn billions more, writes Phil van Doorn.
CBO sees $506 billion deficit
Congressional Budget Office raises its forecast by $14 billion.
Time Warner Cable back up after outage
Cable operator calls Internet, on-demand services largely restored.
• These companies won big at the Emmys
Why Indian stocks are a buy right now
Opinion: Long-awaited economic reforms will propel economic growth for years, writes investment strategist Henry To.
Germany must soften as France falls apart
Opinion: Building tensions point to a schism among three main members of the EMU, says David Marsh.
• Scotland casts a chill on U.K. stocks
• Baltics are hidden gems; Lithuania is a jewel
• Is it time to borrow euros?
How to protect against risk after S&P 2,000
Trading Deck: Protect profit from a potential gap down, writes Thomas H. Kee Jr.
• V-shaped rebounds have become the norm
• Chart that stock bulls don’t want you to see
• Bulls in no danger of running off a cliff
In a leaderless world, capitalists are taking control
Opinion: Paul B. Farrell lays out six stages to a world where the leaders are presidents of a company, not a nation.
• Fed is under pressure about lack of jobs
Civilization must declare war on radical Islamism
Opinion: Murder of journalist James Foley should trigger a new international strategy, says Amotz Asa-El.
• U.S. preps for surveillance flights over Syria
Hong Kong H-shares index up 0.4% at 11,117.73
Hong Kong's Hang Seng opens up 0.5% at 25,055.81
Australia's S&P/ASX 200 down 0.3% at 5,632.30 early
Japan's Topix down 0.4% at 1,280.93 in early moves
Japan's Nikkei Average opens down 0.3% at 15,482.27
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner