New York Markets Close in:
Apple defies downtrend after China Mobile deal
Stocks fall on anniversary of ‘irrational exuberance’
Everything wrong with Christmas in one column
• 5 ways to give more effectively to charity
Kohl's tries a 100-hour shopathon
And you thought stores opening on Thanksgiving was a bad idea.
• Browse on iPhones, shop on iPads
Nutcracker ballet: Beloved or a ripoff?
10 reasons why the seasonal classic isn’t such a sweet treat.
Forget Santa rally and January Effect
Commentary: Charles Sizemore says markets hardly live in a vacuum during December and January.
Why Apple could lose tablet share
And the operating system that will gain is Microsoft, says IDC.
• Apple up on China deal; ‘Battlefield 4’ sinks EA
40% of motorists nod off at the wheel
The fatal train crash in New York is a wake-up call to all drivers.
10 best deals for those seeking a 3-year-old car
The current supply of used cars is large and demand is soft. Yet the quality of these vehicles is high, with many dealers offering factory certified preowned models with a multiyear warranty.
• 2 million passwords stolen in mass-scale hack
• North Korea prison camps said to be expanding
• Emerging budget deal will add to flight fees
• Severe smog chokes China
• Sorry, Mr. President: No iPhone for you
• Jobless claims fall below 300,000
• Rising rates nudging mortgage payments higher
Tesla buyer pays with bitcoins
Bitcoins gain new acceptance — from car dealer, currency analysts.
• Bitcoin: Thumbs-down from China, Greenspan
• Bank of France joins the warnings over bitcoin
3 low-risk stocks for skeptics
Despite talk of a market top, stocks are still the place to be. Jeff Reeves suggests three places to stash your cash.
‘Made in U.S.A.’ is money-making investment idea
ETHICS AND MORALS
Now Rush Limbaugh tears into the pope
Pope Francis has come under fire of late for what some perceive as an attack on capitalism.
• Al Lewis: Pope Francis is just obeying Jesus
• Pope Francis attacking greed, not capitalism
Medicare users will get a break in 2014
The most common premiums won’t rise next year, and that could be a sign of looming changes in how doctors treat retirement-age patients.
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
Doctors, hospitals struggle with e-data
Getting hospitals, doctors and clinics to the point where they can easily share electronic patient records remains an elusive goal.
• The latest glitch in Obamacare website
Obamacare might have been Bushcare
George H.W. Bush cabinet member Louis Sullivan explains how 1992 election outcome might've changed health care.
Big Oil now plans for a carbon tax
Large oil companies are making the pragmatic decision to prepare for an eventual carbon price, and Exxon Mobil is better prepared.
- Loading more headlines...
You may not need as much to retire
Robert Powell explains, with the caveat that the calculation is a bit complicated.
• Shuold you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• She went to prison for her 'encore career'
How to get $100 off on an ounce of gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap up this deal.
• AMC moviegoers can buy stock in IPO
10 tricks that make you spend more
What to watch out for when shopping this holiday season.
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
With the door-busting done, the NPD Group's Marshal Cohen says serious shoppers show patience.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner