Tokyo Markets Open in:
Mandela, iconic South African leader, dies at 95
• Nelson Mandela: A look back in pictures
• Obama lauds Mandela's achievements
• Marshall Loeb recalls covering Mandela
Customer buys a Tesla with bitcoins
Bitcoins are gaining new acceptance — from car dealer to currency analysts.
• Bitcoin: Thumbs-down from China, Greenspan
• Bank of France joins the warnings over bitcoin
Race car, Hollywood tax breaks on the block
Fifty-five tax breaks are set to expire at the end of the year, unless lawmakers in Washington act.
Medicare users will get a break in 2014
The most common premiums won’t rise next year, and that could be a sign of looming changes in how doctors treat retirement-age patients.
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
Kohl’s tries a 100-hour shopathon
And you thought stores opening on Thanksgiving was a bad idea.
• Browse on iPhones, shop on iPads
Why Apple could lose tablet share
And the operating system that will gain is Microsoft, says IDC.
• iPhones are for browsing, iPads for buying
• Apple up on China deal; ‘Battlefield 4’ sinks EA
• Twitter's new tool for ad targeting; stock rallies
Forget Santa rally and January Effect
Commentary: Charles Sizemore says markets hardly live in a vacuum during December and January.
• J.C. Penney facing SEC questions on liquidity
• 2 million passwords stolen in mass-scale hack
• Goldman most affected by Volcker rule: analyst
• Florida State QB Winston won't be charged
• North Korea prison camps said to be expanding
• Emerging budget deal will add to flight fees
• Severe smog chokes China
• Sorry, Mr. President: No iPhone for you
• Rising rates nudging mortgage payments higher
3 low-risk stocks for skeptics
Despite talk of a market top, stocks are still the place to be. Jeff Reeves suggests three places to stash your cash.
• S&P 500 holds support despite daily declines
‘Made in U.S.A.’ is money-making investment idea
Lew blasted for remarks on ‘too big to fail’
Treasury secretary's sunny remarks about the too-big-to-fail issue have been met with widespread derision.
ETHICS AND MORALS
Now Rush Limbaugh tears into the pope
Pope Francis has come under fire of late for what some perceive as an attack on capitalism.
• Al Lewis: Pope Francis is just obeying Jesus
• Pope Francis attacking greed, not capitalism
Obamacare might have been Bushcare
George H.W. Bush cabinet member Louis Sullivan explains how 1992 election outcome might've changed health care.
• Doctors, hospitals struggle with e-data
• The latest glitch in Obamacare website
10 best deals for those seeking a 3-year-old car
• 40% of motorists nod off at the wheel
• Americans driving more as gas prices fall
Australia S&P/ASX 200 down 0.1% at 5,191.70 early
Nelson Mandela dies at 95: reports
- Loading more headlines...
You may not need as much to retire
Robert Powell explains, with the caveat that the calculation is a bit complicated.
• Shuold you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• She went to prison for her 'encore career'
How to get $100 off on an ounce of gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap up this deal.
iPhones are for browsing, iPads for buying
Americans are more likely to use smartphones for browsing and tablets to make the purchases, research finds.
• 10 tricks that make you spend more
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
With the door-busting done, the NPD Group's Marshal Cohen says serious shoppers show patience.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner