Young Americans missing out on job gains
• November job gains in a range of industries
• Surprise rise in laborforce participation
• Nutting: Low wages are a drag for economy
• Furchtgott-Roth: Income inequality overdone
Airplane blown sideways while attempting to land
10 things emergency rooms won’t tell you
• Report: Alzheimer's rate falls globally
Here’s a look inside the 2015 Ford Mustang
• Bitcoin price plunges on Baidu payment ban
• Stocks jump on jobs report, but slip for week
• Ulta Salon shares loses fifth of its value
• Twitter patent policy faced pre-IPO scrutiny
• In Apple vs. Samsung, the lawyers win
• U.S. draws World Cup ‘Group of Death’
• Ryan, Murray closing in on a budget deal
NELSON MANDELA 1918-2013
Mandela’s imperfect legacy
Commentary: Economic growth and quality education, that is the great unfinished work of Nelson Mandela, writes Barry Wood.
• A look back at Mandela in pictures
• NYC memorial planned for Nelson Mandela
• Obama to visit South Africa to honor Mandela
Escort service cashes in on BP claims
BP says an adult-escort service won thousands from the Deepwater Horizon spill settlement program with questionable documentation.
• ‘ Ice Friday’ keeps natural gas prices soaring
Getting gold at a $100 markdown
Conrad deAenlle shows you the way to snap up gold at an 8% discount to what otherwise would be the best price you could find.
$5 million mansions in foreclosure
The number of multimillion-dollar homes going into foreclosure has spiked.
• States where prices still have a long recovery
• Please hold, your bailout call is important
Gold miners drop over 50% with no bottom in sight
Major gold companies have lost half their value this year after a more than 25% plunge in gold prices, reports Myra P. Saefong.
How to avoid tax hit on early 401(k) withdrawals
Know the different rules for different retirement plans, says Dan Moisand.
- Loading more headlines...
You may not need
as much to retire
Robert Powell explains, with the caveat that the calculation is a bit complicated.
• Should you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• She went to prison for her 'encore career'
How to spend
A barbecue dinner, candy, or rent an apartment and other surprising things you can pay for with bitcoins.
Medicare users to get a break
The most common premiums won’t rise next year. That may be a sign of change.
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
• Health providers wary on data sharing
• Few millennials will join Obamacare
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
Wearing your heart-rate on your wrist: Futuresource Consulting's Simon Bryant says wearable electronics are the next big thing.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner