New York Markets Close in:
Jack Daniel’s bottles drink worthy of Frank Sinatra
Ten surprising things
you can buy with bitcoins
• China, Greenspan not bitcoin fans | Nor France
• Tesla Model S buyer pays with bitcoins
Here’s a look inside the 2015 Ford Mustang
• Best Ford Mustang models of the past 50 years
• 10 best used-car deals this year
• World Cup draw: Who gets ‘Group of Death’?
• Terrifying attempt to land Emirates 777 in U.K.
• Obama to visit South Africa to honor Mandela
• Ryan, Murray closing in on a budget deal
• Race car, Hollywood tax breaks on the block
• Ulta Salon shares loses fifth of its value
• Electronic Arts refocuses to fix ‘Battlefield’ bugs
• European stocks break five-day losing streak
• ‘ Ice Friday’ keeps natural gas prices soaring
Gold miners drop over 50% with no bottom in sight
Major gold companies have lost half their value this year after a more than 25% plunge in gold prices, reports Myra P. Saefong.
• Gold futures drop after strong jobs report
Ghost of 1929 crash reappears
Central-bank stimulus should only be a stopgap measure used to stem panics, not act as a vehicle of economic deliverance, says Anthony Mirhaydari.
$5 million mansions in foreclosure
The number of multimillion-dollar homes going into foreclosure has spiked.
• States where prices still have a long recovery
How to avoid tax hit on early 401(k) withdrawals
You can get money out of retirement plans like 401(k)s and IRAs early, but the rules differ, reports RetireMentor Dan Moisand.
Legendary Bob Dylan guitar for sale
The guitar Bob Dylan played at a festival marking his shift from folk to rock n' roll will be auctioned Friday at Christie's.
• Bruce Lee’s jumpsuit sells for $100,000
Evans: November job data 'strong'
Fed's Evans: Nervous about inflation developments
- Loading more headlines...
You may not need
as much to retire
Robert Powell explains, with the caveat that the calculation is a bit complicated.
• Should you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• She went to prison for her 'encore career'
How to get $100 off on an ounce of gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap up this deal.
Medicare users to get a break
The most common premiums won’t rise next year. That may be a sign of change.
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
• Health providers wary on data sharing
• Few millennials will join Obamacare
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
Wearing your heart-rate on your wrist: Futuresource Consulting's Simon Bryant says wearable electronics are the next big thing.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner