Tokyo Markets Close in:
Deep Dive: Gains of up to 82% far outpace the index, while retailers lose big, writes Phil van Doorn.
• Google driverless car nowhere near ready
• Auto makers ask: Is this as good as it gets?
Apple fixes iCloud flaw in hack of celebrity accounts
Beijing plays hardball over Hong Kong democracy
• Chinese factory activity slows
• In China, cyanide found in dog meat (Caixin)
6 educational apps for kids worth every penny
Why passive investing will keep gaining ground
• Active funds may take 100% of your gains
It’s been a summer worth waiting (in line) for
5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada
• 5 reasons Americans are unhappy
The worst thing about flying? These people
10 things telemarketers won’t tell you
• Japan stocks rising | Australia stocks slipping
• Apple, Tesla are stocks to watch on Tuesday
• Phillies use 4 pitchers to get a no-hitter
• Detroit bankruptcy trial set to open
• U.S. economy still hitting speed bumps
• Apple, Visa in iPhone wallet deal
• European stocks gain | Tesco weighs on FTSE
• Novartis up, Iliad drops: European movers
• Indian shares at record after strong GDP data
• Alibaba stock may debut by Sept. 18
• Fiat-Chrysler U.S. IPO on Oct. 13: Marchionne
• Phillies use 4 pitchers to get a no-hitter
• Joan Rivers is on life support
• U.S. markets closed Monday for Labor Day
Is your ‘alternative’ fund a ticking time bomb?
Commentary: Most people who own “alternative mutual funds” have no idea what they’ve got in their portfolio, writes Chuck Jaffe.
And the best financial stock to buy today is ...
Jeff Reeves on why you need to discover a company named Discover Financial Services.
• Data point to an encouraging correlation
• Gayed: Europe needs to stop the insanity
• Synaptics has the right touch (Barron's)
6 books Bills Gates says you should read
Microsoft founder Bill Gates has recommended books on business, finance and Obamacare — as well as a romantic comedy.
Make your kid rich for $1 a day
RetireMentors: This extremely modest investment can yield $4 million when your child reaches age 65, says Paul Merriman.
What billionaires won’t say
What happens when so few individuals control so much of the world’s wealth.
We’re eating a bit better
A 12-year study funds our eating habits have improved, but we're still a long way from truly healthy.
10 firms that control world’s food
These companies are so powerful their policies can have a major impact on diets, working conditions and the environment worldwide.
• 6 real culprits making American kids fat
You’re paying for things the wrong way
Most people pull dollars rather than plastic out of their wallets for small purchases. Millennials are different.
• What not to buy on Labor Day
Is Draghi’s finger on the QE trigger?
What to watch for in Europe this week, from Mario Draghi to the Bank of England to German data.
• Contraction in German GDP confirmed
• EU’s new leaders: Pole, Italian
Investors will find Ukraine harder to ignore
As the situation in Ukraine worsens, invesgors will find it harder to look away.
• Ukraine loses ground to rebels
• Russia defiant on new Western sanctions
• Who loses if Russia turns off the natural gas
• What experts are saying about Putin-Ukraine
Nike wins bidding war for NBA star Durant
Swoosh invokes contract clause to keep all-star Kevin Durant on Nike team by matching Under Armour offer reported at $265 million to $285 million.
Test drive: The 2015 Corvette 8-speed auto
Corvette's new eight-speed automatic shifts faster than many dual-clutch transmissions, including the Porsche 911, an Autoweek test-drive finds.
• The most-hated car company in the U.S. is ...
• Honda Fit: The perfect back-to-school special
How to ship the ugliest $3 million car
Kia probably doesn't go to the lengths it takes to ship a Bugatti Veyron Vitesse.
How to avoid these 4 traps that wreck your retirement
Make sure you're not snared, and your retirement jeopardized, by one of these four common mistakes.
• Estate-planning issues when age gap is large
• 5 ways to make sure you can afford retirement
• Why so many 'retirees' are still working
• No ‘set it and forget’ it in retirement
Australia's S&P/ASX 200 down 0.1% at 5,621.70 early
Japan's Topix up 0.2% at 1,285.51 in early moves
Japan's Nikkei Average opens 0.3% up at 15,526.94
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner