London Markets Close in:
Tom Bemis lists five wasteful practices that even the wealthy need to be careful to avoid.
Scotland ready to call London’s bluff over sterling
• In Scotland, Sean Connery is ‘Dr. No-Show’
• Weidner: Banks show true colors in Scotland
• Scotland readling from the Norway playbook
Good riddance, Scotland: We don’t need you
• Scotland: As vital to U.K. as Texas is to U.S.
• Origins, implications of Scottish referendum
• Protect your portfolio against a Scottish exit
Smart money: Buy stocks, but not till November
Poll suggests most “smart money” investors are expecting just a mild pullback over the coming weeks, followed by a year-end rally to new highs.
10 foods never worth paying full price for
• 10 things snack food companies won’t tell you
Alibaba IPO sucking money out of Hong Kong stocks
• Alibaba roadshow woos U.S. investors
• Alibaba IPO is a bonanza for select firms
• Alibaba IPO creates ‘monster’ buzz on Twitter
• Herein lies the secret to Alibaba’s success
• J.J. Zhang: Alibaba bet better placed on Yahoo
Hate annuities? 7 reasons to change your mind
• Why a robo-adviser might be right for you
• How value investing grows your nest egg
• What millennials can teach boomers
LinkedIn CEO: Good boss is willing to lose you
• AT&T CEO: Right skills elusive among workers
• 5 weird habits of happy employees
• Skills gap? Who, me?
A ‘girl face’ can damage your ability to negotiate
• DuPont talks with Trian have been 'constructive'
• Family Dollar rejects Dollar General's tender
• FedEx shares rally after earnings
• General Mills falls after disappointing quarter
• Pentagon opens door to ground troops in Iraq
• Microsoft hikes dividend by 11%
• SocGen warns of danger in small-cap stocks
• America's 50 best cities to live (24/7 Wall St.)
10 solid stocks for risk-averse investors
Analysis: Shares with low volatility can beat indexes with less risk, writes Phil van Doorn.
Builder confidence near a 9-year high
Residential builders’ views on present and upcoming sales rise.
• Lennar shares up after profit jumps
Here’s what millennials want when buying a home
Housing and mortgage industries can't wait for millennials to follow up on their desire to buy.
• How your home can help pay for retirement
• 7 things wrong with your house
• 10 best cities for millennials to buy a home
Revenge of the small investor
Opinion: Calpers move illustrates how being denied access to hedge funds can turn out to be a good thing, notes Mark Hulbert.
• Weidner: Hedge funds are losing their luster
• Calpers to exit hedge funds
iPhone 6 review: cure for Android envy
Bigger and supermegajumbo iPhones offer dual cures for Android envy, writes Geoffrey Fowler.
• iPhone 6 Review: Bigger screen is better
• iOS 8 Review: Like a new phone for free
Sony admits phones aren’t its salvation
Sony acknowledges what analysts have been saying for some time.
Five ‘soul- destroying’ jobs
Think you've had your share of bad jobs? Try being a collections agent on 9/11.
• One in 10 Americans’ paychecks gets docked
China pumps billions into banks
China's central bank is injecting about $81 billion into the country's five major state-owned banks as it moves to counter the economic slowdown.
• In China, hybrids to beat electrics (Caixin)
• Half of China’s wealthy want to emigrate
5 ways to make your lousy 401(k) plan stellar
RetireMentor Paul Merriman suggests ways to get around restrictions on investment choices.
• How smart are you about health care?
Simple way to beat the market
Opinion: When a company splits its stock, it usually means management is bullish on its outlook, writes Mark Hulbert.
Why these billionaires are heading into space
The so-called New Space market is attracting interest from ultra rich entrepreneurs.
• NASA picks Boeing, Space X
Technical cross- currents ahead of Fed
Analysis: Market bulls remain on offense despite Fed-related volatility, reports Michael Ashbaugh.
• Market pullbacks present promise, not peril
Poverty rate falls; middle incomes stall
The poverty rate may be falling, but the typical American household isn’t getting any richer.
• A third of U.S. worries about money all the time
Buy Tesla on the dip, analyst says
Global Equities analyst Trip Chowdry suggests the tumble in Tesla’s share price on Monday has provided an attractive entry point for investors.
• Morgan Stanley pumps the brakes on Tesla
foreign- student plan
Janet Napolitano, the former secretary of homeland security, explains why the University of California needs tuition from international students.
• Best university in the world? MIT (24/7 Wall St.)
Here’s why Microsoft is paying big money for ‘Minecraft’
Opinion: The $2.5 billion deal for Mojang could help the Xbox maker replicate its success with "Halo," writes Therese Poletti.
• Windows is the main play with ‘Minecraft’ deal
Builder-confidence gauge rises 4 pts to 59 in September
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner