London Markets Close in:
Obamacare sign-ups quadruple in November
Some surprises lurk behind the data as health-care reform implementation competes Month 2.
The essential Obamacare shopping list for boomers
• Health law weighs on Obama approval rating
Pope Francis is Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
10 states where college
is most expensive
• 10 states where college is most affordable
• Scripps, MasterCard among top S&P gainers
• Home Depot sees hitting 2015 goals a year early
• Discovery explores bid for owner of HGTV
• MasterCard sets 10-for-1 split plan
• HP's Whitman: Desktops are not dead
• Volcker Rule details will prove devilish: analysts
• Swiss banks agree to U.S. plan on tax evasion
Do bull markets ever die in December?
Investors are guilty of a bullish bias in December. But the historical evidence does not support that bias, says Mark Hulbert.
10 reasons to buy Apple stock now
Commentary: The company has changed, and so have expectations, says Jeff Reeves.
Congress scrapes bottom
Job-approval ratings for Congress hit their lowest annual average in Gallup polling. Also: The drilling agreement tucked into the budget deal.
• Murray, Ryan reach two-year U.S. budget deal
• Twitter smirks over 'liberal' John Cornyn
• Comment: Inequality turns U.S. into horror show
5 ways most investors are just plain wrong
These five easily avoided mistakes could have disastrous, long-lasting effects on your retirement portfolio, says Retirementor Paul Merriman.
• Bank of America Merrill Lynch: 2,000 on S&P
• What if Fed blows bubble as it tapers?
Retooling your bond allocations for 2014
When picking fixed-income investments, select a good mix of quality and credit allocated in targeted sectors, says Michael Fabian.
Saving, lottery ticket included
Michigan experiments with 'prize-linked' savings, which reward savers with a chance at a cash jackpot.
Why you can’t see your shrink
Social, financial and meteorological pressures put therapists in high demand this season.
• 2 health-care firms are happiest places to work
- Loading more headlines...
Money moves to make if you’re forced to retire
Workers in this survey said they planned to retire at 65, but were forced to retire at 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
• Should you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
House bill could ban in-flight phone calls
Republican's proposal could bar calls before FCC has chance to say OK. Texts could get a pass.
Why your rent is
so damn high
Renting has gotten less affordable. More Americans are forking over half their salaries to landlords.
• Getting big mortgage gets tougher
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
Some strange presents are being exchanged at the office, and a warning for your pets this holiday.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner