• Apple tops $100, ending at new high
Ferguson ups police presence after violence
• Weidner: Why Ferguson matters to investors
• Autopsy finds no struggle in Brown shooting
Who gets dinged if Russia bans car imports?
Rumbling Iceland volcano making airlines nervous
8 milestones that made Google formidable
• 13 times Google was not a hot stock
• Decade after IPO, Google is still a growth stock
• 10 things you may not know about Google
• Google nears launch of a no-ads YouTube
3 reasons to sell Microsoft, Cisco, other big tech plays Commentary: Tougher competition and lower spending are hurting profit margins, writes Jeff Reeves.
America’s recession-torn construction belt
Construction has yet to reach pre-recession levels in most markets.
• U.S. home construction heats up in July
• Home Depot results beat; raises outlook
• Fewer Americans are paying for homes in cash
• Home builders turning toward apartments
• Gold slips ahead of Fed minutes
• Dollar hits multi-month highs on U.S. optimism
• Carlsberg warns as Russia, Ukraine bite
• Heineken profit falls 1.3% on forex, divestments
• German PPI hit by energy prices
• Iraq militants claim killing of U.S. journalist
• Buy the dips even as bull market ages: Citi
• 10 companies growing faster than their rivals
• Analysts chicken out on Pollo Loco
• Ballmer resigns from Microsoft board
• Asian stock markets: Latest quotes
• When will bears come out of hibernation?
Why is Priceline investing in this stock?
Trading Deck: It’s a good sign when a successful company takes a stake in an up-and-comer, writes Bill Gunderson.
BOE dissent watched for clues to
After years of a united front, Wednesday’s minutes could reveal that more-hawkish policy makers are speaking out.
• U.K. inflation cools, easing pressure on BOE
• London home prices drop — to average $1 mln
China slaps Japanese companies with record penalties
China issues a dozen Japanese companies with the largest antitrust fine in recent history, though it gives two of the offenders a pass.
• Citigroup may sell Japan retail-banking arm
• Japan exports rebound modestly in July
Bank of China hunts buyers in Europe
One of China’s big four banks meets with European investors as part of its early efforts to sell billions of dollars in shares, The Wall Street Journal says.
• Fortescue plans to repay debt as profit jumps
• BHP spinoff worth up to $12 billion
Harry Reid: Loss ‘likely’ in South Dakota
There’s trouble brewing for Democrats in this fall’s South Dakota Senate race, says Senate Dem chief Harry Reid.
• Uber hires Obama adviser amid regulatory fight
Tech crash still a painful memory
While the Nasdaq is back to tech-bubble levels, some of tech giants that fueled the bubble still have a way to go.
• Nasdaq breaks out to less-charted territory
Take stock of your life before investing
Opinion: Want to be rich? Chances are investing alone won't do it — and here's why, explains J.J. Zhang.
• Top trader sees 3 dangers for stocks
Mysterious case of
H-P deal for Autonomy
Insight: Investors are still wondering about Hewlett-Packard writing down most of the $11 billion deal, notes Therese Poletti.
Soros is not the only big investor getting defensive
George Soros’s 13F filing shows a big jump in puts on the S&P 500 ETF, but he’s not the only big investor apparently hedging against a market fall.
• Shiller: Bonds, housing are also pricey
• Why Ally Financial may be a better bet
• Where Buffett, Soros are moving their money
Your retirement might be
in better shape than you think
RetireMentors: A variable annuity and a mix of high-quality dividend stocks can provide a reliable income stream, says Amit Chopra.
• No need to worry about Social Security
• Coloradans have much to celebrate
To curb inflation, build more apartments
Opinion: Today’s CPI and housing starts reports are all about supply and demand, writes Rex Nutting.
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner