New York Markets Close in:
Apple set to lose tablet share to Windows: IDC
• Sony scores early points in new console wars
Browse on your iPhone, buy with your iPad
Why tablets are where the mobile money is.
• Apple, China Mobile sign deal to offer iPhone
• Sorry, Mr. President: No iPhone for you
• Icahn to call for Apple vote on buyback idea
• So what is a precatory proposal anyway?
The skeletons in Hewlett’s closet
Commentary: Shareholder suit has gained steam, reports Therese Poletti. It'll be riveting if it reaches trial.
• 10 things your boss won’t tell you
5 investing tips for the ‘partially retired’
Retirement is likely to be a series of steps down from work, not one big bang, says Mitch Tuchman.
• You may need less to retire than you think
• Encore blog: New way to save for retirement
• Retirement savings: The Great Divide
Canada will take on Russia over North Pole
This could be a really cold war: A battle for the North Pole.
• Google, Microsoft in race to track Santa Claus
10 best deals for those seeking a 3-year-old car
The current supply of used cars is large and demand is soft. Yet the quality of these vehicles is high, with many dealers offering factory certified preowned models with a multiyear warranty.
• 40% of drivers nod off behind the wheel
• Bitcoin panned by Greenspan and China
• 2 million passwords stolen in mass-scale hack
• Emerging budget deal will add to flight fees
• Severe smog chokes China
• Biden lobbies China over journalists: report
• MSNBC’s Bashir resigns over Palin flap
• Fatal train crash a wake-up call to all drivers
• American teacher shot and killed in Benghazi
• Bill Bratton returning to head NYPD
Why Europe will best
The investor love affair with Europe is still going strong, and major investment banks are ready to go.
• Commentary: Don't count on Germany
‘Made in U.S.A.’ is a money-making investment idea
U.S. manufacturing renaissance is riveting stock investors, writes Jonathan Burton.
Now Rush Limbaugh tears into the pope
Pope Francis has come under fire of late for what some perceive as an attack on capitalism.
• Al Lewis: Pope Francis is just obeying Jesus
• Pope Francis attacking greed, not capitalism
Five ways to donate to charity more effectively
Year-end is prime time for charitable giving. Jason Saul knows how we can make our donations more valuable.
Medicare users will get a break in 2014
The most common premiums won’t rise next year, and that could be a sign of looming changes in how doctors treat retirement-age patients.
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
Obamacare might have been Bushcare
George H.W. Bush cabinet member Louis Sullivan explains how 1992 election outcome might've changed health care.
• The latest glitch in Obamacare website
• Obamacare site gets 29K sign-ups in 2 days
• Large short positions on Obamacare contractor
• The winners of the Obamacare video contest
3 low-risk stocks for skeptics
Commentary: Jeff Reeves suggests three places to stash your cash, one of which is Pfizer.
- Loading more headlines...
You may not need as much to retire
Robert Powell explains, with the caveat that the calculation is a bit complicated.
• Shuold you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• She went to prison for her 'encore career'
How to get $100 off on an ounce of gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap up this deal.
• AMC moviegoers can buy stock in IPO
10 tricks that make you spend more
What to watch out for when shopping this holiday season.
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner