London Markets Open in:
10 retail tricks that make you spend more
• Are smarter shoppers hurting retail sales?
• How to save on holiday shopping and stay sane
• Lampert cuts Sears stake via fund payouts
• J.C. Penney investors accentuate the negative
You may need less to retire than you think
Robert Powell pores over Morningstar retirement research.
• Encore blog: New way to save for retirement
• Retirement savings: The Great Divide
Obamacare site gets 29K sign-ups in 2 days: reports
• Large short positions on Obamacare contractor
• Less than 1 in 3 millennials to use Obamacare
• The winners of the Obamacare video contest
Germany’s not as strong as you think
Commentary: Germany can’t be counted on to lead recovery in Europe, writes Satyajit Das.
• Look twice at Russia's 'most hated' market
Most corrupt countries on Earth
Abuse of power, secret dealings and bribery are big problems for two-thirds of world.
• Goldman tips solid gain for Hong Kong plays
Joe Biden is huge in China
One reason is noodles.
• Asia chocolate taste
• China faces huge natural-gas shortage (Caixin)
• S&P, Dow extend losing streak to fourth day
• Gold reverses after short-lived bounce
• Sony scores early points in new console wars
• Fifth Third charged with improper accounting
Qantas Air, Standard Chartered stumble
Qantas sinks in Sydney and Standard Chartered falls in Hong Kong after the air carrier and the banking firm each issue financial warnings.
• Arrests made in Japanese pension probe
• Thailand's king urges unity amid protests
Obama urges action on inequality
President urges lawmakers to take steps to reduce income gaps and lift up the poor and middle class.
• Banks brace for new Volcker rule limitations
• Warren asks bank chiefs for think-tank ties
How to get a $100 break on gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap it up.
• Gold holds tight with U.S. jobs report looming
• White House studied ‘platinum coin' option
Canada will take on Russia over North Pole
This could be a really cold war: A battle for the North Pole.
• Google, Microsoft in race to track Santa Claus
Bitcoin’s meteoric rally toward iffy future
Commentary: There’s a reason bitcoin critics are evoking Tulip Mania, writes Michael Casey.
• Why aren't you up as much as Bitcoin?
• Bitcoin buying for dummies
Pope called a commie for obeying Jesus
Commentary: Pope Francis is just doing what Jesus would do, writes Al Lewis.
• Pope Francis attacking greed, not capitalism
Beige Book shows plenty of positive economic news
Growth is “modest to moderate” where it's been for the past year, according to the latest Fed Beige Book reports.
• U.S. new-home sales leap more than 25%
• Private-sector job gains hottest in a year: ADP
China Mobile inks iPhone deal with Apple: WSJ
Shanghai Composite shed 0.1% in early action
Hang Seng H-shares index down 0.4% at open
Hong Kong's Hang Seng opens with 0.5% loss
- Loading more headlines...
home prices lag
The failure of housing prices in some states to recover hints at a lopsided recovery.
• 30-year mortgage rate rises again: Zillow
Real men now wear makeup
Charles Passy describes his adventures in the booming market for men’s cosmetics.
Tax moves and trading tips for year-end
Still time for investors to make portfolio adjustments that create tax savings, writes Aaron Katsman.
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner