New York Markets After Hours
The Tell: John Hussman takes a particularly strong stance in his latest weekly letter.
• Dollar General may be in play
• Icahn’s $149 million profit off Family Dollar
• Dollar Tree to buy Family Dollar
Read CliffsNotes critique of an Ivy League education
Wall Street upbeat about Tesla’s prospects
• Tesla, Panasonic may have ‘gigafactory’ deal
• Fastest selling cars in U.S.
• 5 cars the richest Americans are buying
• This Dodge is more powerful than a Corvette
• Falling in love with a car online
Here’s what you shouldn’t buy on Amazon
The medical bills that hit retirees hardest
Is this sounding the death knell for the desktop?
This tweak from the Fed could rock the market
To corporate America, even France looks inviting
Opinion: The latest proposed inversion transaction makes even France a better corporate destination, writes Steve Goldstein.
• Hospira may buy Danone unit, ditch U.S. taxes
• Hedge funds are betting on tax ‘inversion’ wave
Philip Seymour Hoffman’s ruinous estate mistake Opinion: Philip Seymour Hoffman needed some honest estate-planning advice, writes Melissa Montgomery-Fitzsimmons.
• Micron falls 4% to lead S&P decliners
• Family Dollar, Trulia soar on Merger Monday
• Virgin America files for IPO
• Russia ordered to pay $50 bln to Yukos holders
• Doctor dies of Ebola, two Americans infected
• Swiss banks offer U.S. clients $5K to 'fess up
• Get ready for 48 hours of economic fury
• What to watch for in Twitter earnings
Obama tells questioner it’s now the G-7
President says Russia remains outside the Group of Seven after country was expelled in March over annexation of Crimea.
• New sanctions on Russia coming: White House
‘3-D’ stocks retreat as Amazon joins fray
Amazon just joined the 3-D printing craze with a new store. Here's why 3-D printer stocks are down.
Icahn, Ackman face off again after the bell
Carl Icahn wins a round, as he gets Family Dollar to do in less than two months what Bill Ackman couldn’t achieve in 13 months. They face off again on Herbalife Monday night.
The risk after Fed begins tightening
As the conversation moves to interest rate hikes next year, there's the danger that the tightening could reveal some currently hidden risks to the economy, Wells Fargo chief economist says.
The Fed giveth, and oil taketh
Trading Deck: Mom-and-pop investors appear to be coming back into stocks in force, but oil prices suggest that any gains could ultimately amount to little, writes Michael Gayed.
When to see debt as a path to opportunity
Commentary: Debt is not a four-letter word — it’s downright American, writes Jeff Reeves.
Housing market still isn’t all fine and dandy
Housing still hasn't come around, as the pending home-sales index shows Monday.
• First drop in pending home sales in 4 months
Was your brokerage account hacked?
There is a risk that cyber thieves have hacked into your account. Here’s how to protect yourself.
6 ways to put life back into ‘Meet the Press’
Opinion: David Gregory’s show is in trouble, but it’s not all his fault, writes Jon Friedman.
Whole Foods stock is getting cheap
Opinion: Whole Foods Market shares are cheap, after investors were rattled by the grocer slashing its famously high prices, says Michael Brush.
• Wall Street rates 10 favorite fast-food joints
Everyone’s got a reason to love low bond yields
Here's where the forceful demand for bonds is coming from.
• Junk-bond fears rise as outflows accelerate
• Spanish 10-year bond yield hits fresh record low
5 questions to Carlyle’s chief economist
Jason Thomas is concerned that share buybacks are distorting per-share earnings and covering up weak sales growth.
• 5 biggest takeaways from this earnings season
• What surge in M&A says about stock market
• Behind the wild collapse in small-caps
• Buy-and-hold investing is dead
Retailers are now the top target of patent trolls
There's little surprise that tech giants Apple and Google are among the top 10 companies most often sued by patent trolls. However, when it comes to sectors, retailers grace the top spot.
6 ways low-savers can save their retirement
RetireMentors: Lack of participation in pensions and savings plans will make it tougher, warns Henry Hebeler.
• Need income? Try a balanced fund
• 6 ways new tax law helps sustain retirement
• Brand-name retirement advisers aren't enough
Connect with Palin for $9.95 a month
Sarah Palin is sick of media filters, so she's launching her own Internet channel.
• Mick Jagger still rocking as he turns 71
• BuzzFeed fires writer caught plagiarizing
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner