New York Markets After Hours
on strong iPhone sales
• E-cigarettes not the savior of tobacco industry?
• Tobacco muni bonds face a trying time
Average premium hike in states without subsidies
• Obamacare ruling nitpicking over language?
• Courts are in conflict with Obamacare rulings
Hackers bypass online security at 34 banks
There’s no bear market in Chipotle burritos
If you like your AK-47, you can keep your AK-47
• EU looks at toughening sanctions on Russia
6 countries U.S. airlines won’t fly over
Eastern Ukraine, site of MH17 disaster, joined by Crimean Peninsula and others around globe.
• Why your next flight could be over a war zone
• MH17 black boxes are in ‘good condition’
• News stream: Latest on Malaysia MH17 crash
Everything in your house is getting cheaper to buy First Take: It’s getting cheaper to fill your house with furniture, appliances, electronics, kitchen equipment, tools, bikes and even toys.
• Consumer prices rise as gas prices jump
Sales of existing homes hit fastest pace in 8 months
The housing market’s recovery hasn’t petered out, latest data signals.
• U.S. home prices rise 0.4% in May, FHFA says
• Existing-home sales rise 2.6% in June
And America’s most-hated social media company is…
Cruise lines want you to bring your baby on board
• Cruise industry woos solo travelers
• Cruise lines with the best, worst tipping policies
• Do cruise lines have a crime problem?
• 10 things cruise lines won’t tell you
• U.S. stocks end higher; Herbalife gain best ever
• Electronic Arts reports solid profit growth
• Deutsche Bank U.S. unit has flaws: regulators
• ‘Yahoo Ending’: Japan’s one-stop afterlife shop
• Chipotle rolls, as Herbalife ignores ‘death blow’
• Eliot Spitzer backs analyst-ranking firm
• 15 small-cap stocks Goldman deems worthy
• Hatch green lights existing ‘inversion’ deals
• Detroit pension holders OK city debt-cutting plan
• Prince George celebrates his first birthday
Michael Lewis still calling market ‘rigged’
"Flash Boys" author’s discussion with late-night host Conan O'Brien is revealing in several ways.
• BATS O'Brien's epic TV battle with Katsuyama
Bill Ackman’s other bet on Herbalife
Bill Ackman said he has spent $50 million and at least two years doing research on Herbalife. Regulators may be reluctant to spend as much money and effort.
• Ackman’s ‘death blow’ fails to sway investors
• Herbalife CFO fights back vs. Ackman
• Weidner on the ‘golden age’ of activist investing
• Follow MarketWatch live stream for recap
5 things to know about Saudi Arabia stock market
Saudi Arabia is preparing to open its stock market to foreign investors. Analysts say it’s worth a look.
FAA temporarily bans U.S. fights to Tel Aviv
U.S. aviation agency cites rocket fire near Ben Gurion airport in barring flights for a day.
Why white bread prices keep declining
A grocery-aisle price war may have precipitated this race to the bottom.
Netflix price hike isn’t stifling signups
First Take: Streaming company has learned from its last price-rise snafu.
• Netflix earnings surge on subscriber growth
• Netflix confirms $1-a-month price hike
James Garner’s 10 best ‘Rockford’ episodes
These episodes are notable examples of Garner’s performance as the smart, somewhat cynical but basically kind-hearted Los Angeles private eye.
Shorter workweek could mean better work
Billionaire Carlos Slim advocates a three-day workweek, saying it would boost our quality of life. It might be good for the economy, too.
• You may be getting too much sleep, not too little
Hedge fund dodged $6 billion in taxes
Renaissance Technologies used structured financial products purchased from Barclays and Deutsche Bank to avoid more than $6 billion in taxes, according to a Senate report.
• Weidner on Wall Street backlash and 2016
• Judge tosses out one Obamacare lawsuit
3 taxes it’s OK to hate
Nobody likes to pay taxes, but these three are particularly unfair, writes columnist Bill Bischoff.
The real difference with jobs grads get
College grads are getting the same kind of jobs as before recession. But these graduates aren't seeing the same pay.
• Women executives pay price for diversity
• New apps let you rate your coworkers
6 books Bill Gates wants you to read this summer
Microsoft founder has recommended books on business, finance and Obamacare — as well as a romantic comedy.
• Gates’s, Buffett’s favorite business book
S&P 500 defies global strife to vie for technical breakout
Analysis: S&P has successfully absorbed recent geopolitical cross currents, reports Michael Ashbaugh.
• If your portfolio looks invincible, re-examine risk
• Arends: When Dow hits 20,000, stocks crash?
• Broad advance puts market on sound footing
AMD turnaround hits a snag
Opinion: Chip maker is taking its time in the move away from PCs, writes Therese Poletti.
4 reasons you need long-term care insurance
RetireMentors: A couple retiring in 2014 can expect to pay $240,000 in health-care costs during retirement, says Stephen Williams.
• Feel invincible? Time to look at risk
• To get the right annuity, start at the finish line
• How to avoid some major 401(k) mistakes
Why are the BRICS starting a bank?
Commentary: There are lots of questions about why Beijing is backing the new development bank, notes David Marsh. Here are the answers.
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner