London Markets Open in:
Mandela, iconic South African leader, dies at 95
• Nelson Mandela: A look back in pictures
• Obama lauds Mandela's achievements
• Marshall Loeb recalls covering Mandela
Lew's comments draw fire
Treasury secretary's sunny remarks about the too-big-to-fail issue have been met with widespread derision.
• Race car, Hollywood tax breaks on the block
• Senate plans vote on Yellen before Christmas
Why Apple could lose tablet share
And the operating system that will gain is Microsoft, says IDC.
• iPhones are for browsing, iPads for buying
• Apple up on China deal; ‘Battlefield 4’ sinks EA
• Twitter's new tool for ad targeting; stock rallies
And you thought stores opening on Thanksgiving was a bad idea.
• Browse on iPhones, shop on iPads
BITCOIN IN FOCUS
Customer buys Tesla with bitcoins
Bitcoins are gaining new acceptance — from a Tesla car dealer to a growing number of currency analysts.
• Bitcoin: Thumbs-down from China, Greenspan
• Bank of France joins the warnings over bitcoin
• Box raises $100 million at $2 billion valuation
• J.C. Penney facing SEC questions on liquidity
• Gold eases ahead of jobs report
• 2 million passwords stolen in mass hack
• Goldman most affected by Volcker rule: analyst
• Spotify plans free mobile version of its service
• Sorry, Mr. President: No iPhone for you
• Severe smog choking China
• Emerging budget deal will add to flight fees
• Rising rates nudge mortgage payments higher
Asia stocks fall as jobs data loom
Asian markets trade mostly lower ahead of the U.S. labor report, while stability in the yen helps Tokyo stocks.
• Bruce Lee items fetch big prices
• Qantas downgraded to junk at S&P
• Japan lays out major new stimulus package
3 low-risk stocks for skeptics
Despite talk of a market top, stocks are still the place to be. Jeff Reeves suggests three places to buy.
• Sizemore: Forget Santa rally, January Effect
• S&P 500 holds support despite daily declines
• Burton: 'Made in U.S.A.’ is a money-maker
might have been Bushcare
George H.W. Bush cabinet member Louis Sullivan says the 1992 election outcome might hve changed health care.
• Doctors, hospitals struggle with e-data
• The latest glitch in Obamacare website
• Few millennials will join Obamacare: study
Medicare users to get a break
The most common premiums won’t rise next year, and that may be a sign of changes in how doctors treat retirement-age patients.
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
• Health providers wary on data sharing
10 best deals on
The current supply of used cars is large and demand is soft. Yet the quality of many of these vehicles is high.
• Honda to offer incentives to U.S. buyers
• 40% of motorists nod off at the wheel
• Americans driving more as gas prices fall
Japan's Topix closes 0.5% higher at 1,235.83
Japan's Nikkei Average ends 0.8% up at 15,299.86
Shanghai Composite down 0.3% in early action
Hang Seng H-shares index falls 0.3% at open
Hong Kong's Hang Seng opens lower by 0.3%
- Loading more headlines...
You may not need
as much to retire
Robert Powell explains, with the caveat that the calculation is a bit complicated.
• Shuold you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• She went to prison for her 'encore career'
How to get $100 off on an ounce of gold
Commentary: Conrad deAenlle explains how you can snap up this deal.
iPhones to browse, iPads to buy
Americans are more likely to use smartphones for browsing and tablets to make the buy.
• 10 tricks that make you spend more
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
With the door-busting done, the NPD Group's Marshal Cohen says serious shoppers show patience.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner