Tokyo Markets Close in:
• E-cigarettes hooking more high school kids
• Parents, stop paying off kids’ student loans
Here’s what Chinese solar-panel makers predict
• How China is keeping a lid on U.S. gas prices
‘Bubble’ talk as Snapchat hits $10 billion valuation
• Twitter CEO: Snapchat’s valuation ‘not absurd’
• Snapchat gets $10 billion valuation
Forget bedbugs — these bugs are bigger worries
• 10 businesses profiting from germaphobia
• Scientists seek to map bedbug genome
Zara pulls ‘concentration camp’ pajamas off market
The most hated car company in America is ...
• Guess who owns the world’s only purple Tesla?
• Google car may mean cheaper car insurance
Passive investing will keep gaining ground: Vanguard
• Passive investing is now the mainstream
Smith & Wesson sales fall with gun-control fears First Take: Many consumers appear to quit buying weapons as fear that their availability will be curtailed abates, writes Steve Goldstein.
• 10 things the gun industry won’t tell you
Why Ferguson, Mo., matters for investors Opinion: The friction between protesters and police in this St. Louis suburb is also about economic opportunity, writes David Weidner.
• Who wants to invest in Ferguson, Mo., now?
• The Ferguson, Mo., you don’t know
• 10 good things you don’t know about Ferguson
• Ferguson’s rage has roots in China, Mexico
• S&P 500 holds at 2,000 as stocks finish flat
• Guess cuts outlook as fall line disappoints
• Bond yields move to historic lows in Germany
• Russia plans to halt gas flow to EU: Ukraine
• H-P surpasses IBM as No. 1 in server sales
• Taiwan’s Apple plays lead Asian stock gains
• Ireland’s Ryanair among gainers in Europe
Top market timer
Insight: Mark Hulbert looks at the latest from Sam Eisenstadt, one of the best at calling the market.
• What S&P did last 2 times Fed started hiking
• Who’ll hike rates first: Fed or Bank of England?
• Don’t ignore the ‘buts’ in Draghi hints at QE
• French leader keeps up pressure on ECB to act
L.A. may hike its minimum wage
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (pictured) reportedly wants to raise the city's minimum wage to $13.25 an hour.
• Joe Biden heads to secret fundraisers
• ‘Iron is hot’ to act on tax inversions, Levin says
China’s housing plunge sparks clashes
The sharp drop in China’s housing prices has reportedly led to an outburst of anger — and sometime violence — among property owners.
Four traps wrecking your retirement
There are many ways to undermine retirement savings, but these four traps are easy to avoid, says Paul Merriman.
• Estate-planning issues when age gap is large
Facebook’s worst enemy? Not Google
Shares of Facebook have rallied close to 40% this year, but the bull run could stall early next year.
• Twitch users like watching others play games
• Morrissey book outsells Amazon phone
Big U.S. banks prepare to make even more money
Analysis: A rise in interest rates will help them earn billions more, writes Phil van Doorn.
CBO sees $506 billion deficit
Congressional Budget Office raises its forecast by $14 billion.
Asia remains the diamond in Tiffany’s jewelry box
Stores in Greater China nearly outsell those in Japan, and demand won't ease any time soon.
• Michaels’ shares are painting a pretty picture
Time Warner Cable back up after outage
Cable operator calls Internet, on-demand services largely restored.
• These companies won big at the Emmys
Why Indian stocks are a buy right now
Opinion: Long-awaited economic reforms will propel economic growth for years, writes investment strategist Henry To.
Germany must soften as France falls apart
Opinion: Building tensions point to a schism among three main members of the EMU, says David Marsh.
• Scotland casts a chill on U.K. stocks
• Baltics are hidden gems; Lithuania is a jewel
• Is it time to borrow euros?
How to protect against risk after S&P 2,000
Trading Deck: Protect profit from a potential gap down, writes Thomas H. Kee Jr.
• V-shaped rebounds have become the norm
• Chart that stock bulls don’t want you to see
• Bulls in no danger of running off a cliff
Fed is feeling political pressure about lack of jobs
Opinion: People are beginning to realize the Fed is the only Washington institution that can help them, writes Darrell Delamaide.
In a leaderless world, capitalists are taking control
Opinion: Paul B. Farrell lays out six stages to a world where the leaders are presidents of a company, not a nation.
Fed is under pressure about lack of jobs
Civilization must declare war on radical Islamism
Opinion: Murder of journalist James Foley should trigger a new international strategy, says Amotz Asa-El.
• U.S. preps for surveillance flights over Syria
Australia's S&P/ASX 200 down 0.3% at 5,632.30 early
Japan's Topix down 0.4% at 1,280.93 in early moves
Japan's Nikkei Average opens down 0.3% at 15,482.27
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner