New York Markets Close in:
• China’s favorite sons will score in Alibaba IPO
• Alibaba IPO gives insiders chance to sell early
• Biggest risk in Alibaba IPO may be China itself
• Alibaba structure 'dangerous': Mark Mobius
• Herein lies the secret to Alibaba’s success
November surprise: Senate stays in Democratic hands
• Democrats turn on Debbie Wasserman Schultz
• Tax-reform talk with Boehner — and wine
Tim Cook: Data safe with us — unlike some people
• Real reason people wait in line for new iPhones
• UBS analyst says Apple Watch will pay off
• iOS 8 review: Like a new phone for free
• Apple's iOS 8: Time to clear out digital attic
• Why iPhone 6's bigger screen is better
Elon Musk: Thermostat-like device will power house
• Musk sees autonomous car ready in 5-6 years
• Musk ‘deeply honored’ by NASA contract
• Why these billionaires are heading into space
U.S. housing starts tumble 14.4% in August
• What millennials want in a home
• America's 50 best cities to live in (24/7 Wall St.)
• China home prices weaken further in August
10 foods never worth paying full price for
• 10 things snack-food companies won’t tell you
Is your spouse hiding money from you?
• Are you a financially unfaithful partner?
• Secret debt digs Wisconsin family into a hole
• Scotland begins voting on exit from the U.K.
• Obama plans to tightly control strikes on Syria
• PBOC makes second surprise easing move
• China hacked U.S. contractors: Senate panel
• Rite Aid shares sink after lowered profit outlook
Wall Street gets back to its bad old ways
Opinion: You'd expect banks and brokers to have cleaned up their act. They haven’t, says David Weidner.
Philly hiring intentions hit 31-year high
Manufacturers in Fed’s Philadelphia region continue to do brisk business in September, and hiring intentions surge.
• Weekly jobless claims lowest since July
• 7,000 more new jobs located in older data
Yellen: Poorest in U.S. live in ‘sobering’ conditions
Condition of lower-income families in grim even as the economy recovers, Janet Yellen says Thursday.
• Yellen on ‘considerable time’ meaning and more
7 charts that expose the billionaire club
Where do the uber-rich live, go to school and make their money? This data gives the lowdown.
• 5 big shots who lied on their resumes
• Why so many billionaires are going to space
Charlie Munger, the Calpers exit and you
RetireMentors: Here's how money-manager shifts affect your ability to retire on time, by Mitch Tuchman.
• Arends: Be like Calpers, dump hedge funds
• Weidner: Hedge funds are losing their luster
• Calpers to exit hedge funds
10 stocks for activist investors’ hit list
Analysis: Philip van Doorn spotlights comglomerates that activists could demand better performance from.
• 10 solid stocks for risk-averse investors
News Corp dubs Google a ‘platform for piracy’
Publisher (and MarketWatch and Wall Street Journal parent) joins calls for EU to throw out its settlement with Google.
7 reasons to be bullish on Microsoft
Opinion: Jeff Reeves points out ways Microsoft has begun to break out, after having disappointed for so long.
China bigwigs run in fear from MBA school
In the West, an executive MBA can help your career, but in China it can land you in prison — or so fear some.
• Chinese loans find fewer takers
Amazon unveils high-end Kindle, low-price tablet
Launches devices including a $100 tablet aimed at the masses and a high-end e-reader Amazon says is closer to reading plain paper than ever.
CEO says Pier 1 has been ‘in the dumb camp’
CEO Alex Smith's sobering remarks may be heeded by rivals.
What to look for in Oracle’s earnings report
Oracle is set to report quarterly results, with Wall Street expecting modest profit and revenue gains.
Unhappy month for gold bugs
In most years, September is seasonally a strong month for gold. N
Five ‘soul- destroying’ jobs
Think you've had your share of bad jobs? Try being a collections agent on 9/11.
• One in 10 Americans’ paychecks gets docked
Bidders offer $2.20 for each $1 in 10-yr TIPS sold
Treasury sells $13 bln in 10-year TIPS at 0.610%
Household net worth up $1.4 trillion in second quarter
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner