New York Markets Close in:
Obamacare sign-ups quadruple in November
Some surprises lurk behind the data as health-care reform implementation competes Month 2.
• Health law weighs on Obama approval rating
The essential Obamacare shopping list for boomers
People over 50 could be beneficiaries of the Affordable Care Act. Look beyond the premiums.
Pope Francis is Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
Besting stiff competition, as well as Assad and Miley, pontiff claims magazine distinction.
10 states where college
is most expensive
State investment plays a big part in the cost of college. Based on College Board data, here are the 10 states where college is most expensive.
• 10 states where college is most affordable
• Eight outrageous CEO perks (24/7 Wall St.)
• U.S. solar installations up 20% from year ago
• Home Depot sees hitting 2015 goals a year early
• Discovery explores bid for owner of HGTV
• Amazon.com grocery delivery expands to S.F.
• Royal Mail joining London’s FTSE 100 index
Do bull markets ever die in December?
Investors are guilty of a bullish bias in December. But the historical evidence does not support that bias, says Mark Hulbert.
MasterCard split, Twitter rally, Street skid
Stocks move lower Wednesday morning, but Twitter and MasterCard are upside standouts.
• MasterCard sets 10-for-1 split plan
• Scripps, MasterCard among top S&P gainers
Saving, lottery ticket included
Michigan trial would reward savers with a chance at a cash jackpot.
• Savings accounts that include lotto tickets
• How ‘My Money’ credit cards boost 401(k)s
‘Controls’ aren’t J.P. Morgan’s problem
Commentary: In a culture of ingrained greed, "controls" have limits, says David Weidner.
• Dimon pledges to repair frayed government ties
• Volcker Rule details will prove devilish: analysts
• Swiss banks agree to U.S. plan on tax evasion
• Bernie Madoff cried before his arrest
10 reasons to buy Apple shares now
Commentary: Apple expectations have changed, says Jeff Reeves.
• H-P's Whitman: Desktops are not dead
• Twitter, LinkedIn among best to work for
Congress scrapes bottom
Job-approval ratings for Congress hit lowest annual average in Gallup poll. Also: Drilling agreement tucked into budget deal.
• Murray, Ryan reach two-year U.S. budget deal
• Twitter smirks over 'liberal' John Cornyn
• Comment: Inequality turns U.S. into horror show
Why you can’t see your shrink
Social, financial and meteorological pressures up therapist demand.
• 2 health-care firms are happiest places to work
Stanley Fischer may become Fed Vice-Chair: report
- Loading more headlines...
Money moves to make if you’re forced to retire
These workers planned to retire at 65, reports Andrea Coombes. But they were forced to retire at average age of 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
House bill could ban in-flight phone calls
Republican's proposal could bar calls before FCC has chance to say OK. Texts could get a pass.
Your rent really is
too damn high
Renting has gotten less affordable. More Americans are forking over half their salaries to landlords.
• Getting big mortgage gets tougher
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
CEO Robert Hohman talks about who takes top honors and why.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner