New York Markets Close in:
Obamacare raised the cost of your kid’s braces
• California Obamacare has 80% of state's MDs
• United States of Obamacare: Top sign-up states
Here’s what you’ll save by ditching cable TV
• Why cable TV bills are only going up
• I tried to cut the cable cord — and failed
• Netflix won’t dominate at $7.99 per month
Apple’s smartphone share jumps in China
• Samsung loses Korea patent battle vs. Apple
Surface 2 looks like a holiday hit for Microsoft
World’s best drivers may pay extra for car insurance
• Best Ford Mustang models of the past 50 years
• Meet Porsche’s new ‘tiger,’ the Macan
• Best high-end 2014 model cars
• The $7,000 Christmas tree
• Facebook status update: It’s complicated
• Forecaster of Month: Economy better than data
• Facebook up on S&P inclusion; Lululemon slides
• Fed ‘dream team’: Yellen and Fischer
• Autos lead retail sales higher in November
• Jobless claims highest in two months
• Top 10 white-collar prison sentences
• U.S. cites alleged violators of Iran sanctions
• George Bush consoles Alabama place-kicker
• Golden Globes: Seven nods apiece for two films
Lululemon’s exercise in damage control
First Take: Lululemon Athletica's succession of PR mishaps may have finally caught up with it.
• Year’s hottest toy may be a 54-year-old woman
A piece of the Waldorf
Investors buy pieces of sprawling, fast-growing international hotel empire.
• What Hilton’s IPO means for hotel guests
Rich bet on ‘sane’ subprime
Once considered toxic, subprime mortgages are being rebranded.
• Nov. foreclosure filings drop 15%: RealtyTrac
• 30-year-mortgage rate declines to 4.42%
• A 40-year mortgage may be in the works
J.P. Morgan Madoff cost: $1 billion
The bank is in talks to end a criminal probe over whether it provided adequate warnings over Madoff.
• Lewis: Hundreds of Madoffs ripping people off
• Madoff prison interview: Still blaming others
Retire Here, Not There: Idaho
Where to find the best skiing, fishing and affordable real estate in the Potato State.
• Retire Here, Not There: Montana
Pro-Hillary Clinton super PAC gains pace
'Ready for Hillary' is scheduling more fundraisers and meetings, a budget expert names the losers of the Ryan-Murray deal and more.
• Boehner amps up attack on budget critics
is a sheep in wolf’s clothing
Investors assume global financial crisis over. But real economy is moribund, writes Satyajit Das
- Loading more headlines...
10 states with the priciest colleges
State investment plays a big part in the cost of college. Here are the 10 states where college is most expensive.
• 10 states where college is most affordable
Money moves to
make if you’re
forced to retire
These workers planned to retire at 65, reports Andrea Coombes. But they were forced to retire at average age of 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
Your rent really is
too damn high
Renting is getting expensive, with more Americans paying half their salaries to landlords.
• Getting big mortgage gets tougher
There are numerous ways to add a little spice to your portfolio. Taking advantage of timing is one.
• Making a big play for 2014 right now
• Tune up your portfolio for 2014
• Safe and steady ETFs for the new year
• 2014 stock picks from Barclays
• Deutsche Bank sees stocks up just 3% in 2014
• Trading Strategies: December »
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
CEO Robert Hohman talks about who takes top honors and why.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner