SmartMoney Blogs

Ask SmartMoney
Your personal finance questions, answered.

Stock Broker - All posts in category Stock Broker

  • Dec 4, 2011
    9:07 PM ET

    How Do I Fix A 401(k) Rollover Error?

    Question: I rolled over my 401(k) into what I thought was an IRA but I just found out that my money has been in a non-IRA brokerage account the whole time. What should I do now?

  • Aug 31, 2011
    10:39 AM ET

    How Do I Start an Investing Account for My College Graduate?

    Question: I am interested in starting an investment account for my recent college graduate. My plan is to make an initial stock/bond investment to get him started. My questions are: What/who is the best online investment firm to use if we are starting out small and want to pay as little as possible in fees? When I make the initial investment does he have to contribute to the same fund every month (i.e. purchase more of the same) or can he wait and invest at a later date? When he does invest more money is it advisable to invest in other funds? Is it worth his while to purchase individual stocks in companies he supports (i.e. Starbucks, etc.)?

    –Vicky Stewart Smithtown, N.Y.

  • Jul 11, 2011
    2:03 PM ET

    Should I Switch Brokerage Houses?

    Question: I have $600 in stocks from an ex-employer, at a brokerage house that charges a $95 annual fee. Should I switch to another broker?

    – Janel Shields, Dallas

About Ask SmartMoney

  • Ask SmartMoney has a single, simple mission: Answer your questions. Answers are written by the staff of and SmartMoney magazine, with the help of outside experts. Topics cover investing, spending, retirement planning, saving for college, insurance, taxes and more. Submit your question in the form below, or email

Submit your question

Your name (will not be published without your consent)
SmartMoney cannot answer all questions, and no questions will be answered without a verifiable name and email address.
Please email all customer service, tech questions, and general site feedback to