New York Markets Close in:
• iWatch must set right price from the start
Apple fixes iCloud flaw suspected in celebrity hack
Blue-cheese bobbing at Buffalo chicken wing fest
• Americans are eating a bit better: study
• 6 real culprits making American kids fat
Atlantic City: How to save the Boardwalk Empire
• Cleveland is mounting a Rust Belt rebound
America’s 10 fastest-growing retailers
• Teens want tech vs. back-to-school clothes
• You're paying for things the wrong way
The worst thing about flying? The people
Time to hit the books
It's September, and with the kids back in school, our group of experts offer ideas on how to profit from the season.
• School time may be the right time for Apple
• 3 stocks to rock back-to-school season
• A lesson in buying low in a high group
• See complete report here
• Apple, Dollar General gain; Conn’s crumbles
• Dollar General ups Family Dollar bid to $80/share
• EU to decide on more Russia sanctions Friday
• Luxottica falls, Weir gains: European movers
U.S. ECONOMIC DATA
• U.S. manufacturers tally up late-summer sizzle
• July construction spending climbs 1.8%
• Markit: Final Aug. manufacturing PMI at 57.9
• U.S. home prices up 1.2% in July: CoreLogic
September starts with bullish technical backdrop
Analysis: S&P and Nasdaq have sustained breaks to less-charted territory, while Dow is challenging resistance, reports Mike Ashbaugh.
That ‘safe’ money-market fund may be at risk
Insight: 401(k) investors need to rethink money markets in advance of new SEC rules, says Robert Powell.
Is your ‘alternative’ fund a ticking time bomb?
Commentary: Most people who own “alternative mutual funds” have no idea what they’ve got in their portfolio, writes Chuck Jaffe.
5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada
Burger King followed Tim Horton’s across the border. Should you do the same?
• 5 reasons Americans are unhappy
Strength of Scotland ‘yes’ backing costs pound
The British pound drops after a key poll shows support for Scottish independence jumps just two weeks ahead of a public referendum.
• Surge in support for Scottish independence
iDreamSky shares soar as quiet period ends
Analyst calls the U.S.-listed company an “emerging force” in China.
Tiny biotech takes real ice-bucket challenge
Opinion: Neuralstem may have an ALS therapy on the market in two years, writes Michael Brush.
Aging population faces housing shortage
A new report says that there won’t be enough affordable, physically accessible and well-located housing for the country’s oldest adults.
Eric Cantor cashing in with $3.5 million Wall Street job
GOP's former No. 2 in House signs on with Moelis & Co. for $3.5 million in annual pay.
• Maybe Cantor payday shouldn’t raise eyebrows
Obama midterm strategy: Do no harm
Obama's task in the midterm elections. Plus, Republicans plan concessions.
• Russian duty-free store ‘bans’ Obama
Educational apps for kids worth every penny
There are plenty of apps for all kinds of devices that don’t offer pricey in-app purchases and can enrich your kids.
How to pick the right MLP fund
RetireMentors: Master limited partnerships based in this area can add an effective income stream to your portfolio, says Michael Fabian.
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner