New York Markets Close in:
• Most, least expensive states to live in
• How much your paycheck is worth elsewhere
• 10 states with best bang for tax dollars
• 10 states where taxpayers fare worst
• Americans only take half of their paid vacation
Tobacco fines dwarf bank payouts for shoddy loans
• Standard Chartered to pay $300 million penalty
Who gets dinged if Russia bans car imports?
Retire Here, Not There: Michigan
This app keeps your kids from ignoring you
7 reasons why this Apple cycle will be different
• Apple tops $100, ending at new high
Surfer Slater stands up for Ferguson in unlikely place
In the heat of competition in Tahiti, Kelly Slater takes a moment to raise his hands for those protesting about the shooting of a black teen.
• Ferguson ups police presence after violence
• Weidner: Why Ferguson matters to investors
• Autopsy finds no struggle in Brown shooting
• Amicus climbs; Hertz, J.A. Solar sink
• U.S. dollar rallies; euro drops below $1.33
• FTSE streak at risk | Europe's big movers
• 3 reasons to sell Microsoft, Cisco and others
• Buy the dips even as bull market ages: Citi
• 10 companies growing faster than their rivals
• St. Louis police kill man in alleged knife attack
• Iceland evacuates people near volcano
• Many online arrest records are wrong
Islamist militants say have killed journalist
Militants from the group Islamic State release a video that appears to show the beheading of American journalist James Foley.
Boehner’s troubles are just starting
Conservatives' fresh threat to Boehner, plus Cheney snubs Ryan.
• Harry Reid: Loss ‘likely’ in South Dakota
10 most dominant Buffett stocks
What stands out in the latest regulatory filing is just how large some of the stakes have gotten compared to the total Buffett portfolio. (24/7 Wall Street)
• Soros is not only big investor getting defensive
• Why Ally Financial may attracting smart money
• Where Buffett, Soros are moving their money
In Home Depot vs. Lowe’s, the winner is ...
Opinion: Both companies posted robust sales, but only one raised its guidance, writes Phil van Doorn.
Hertz woes: ‘Major fracture point’
Troubles at rental car giant Hertz elicit two analyst downgrades
Why is Priceline investing in this stock?
Trading Deck: It’s a good sign when a successful company takes a stake in an up-and-comer, writes Bill Gunderson.
Save for old age? At least think it
Not only are we not saving enough for retirement; we're not even thinking about it enough.
• 5 ways to cut financial stress in retirement
Long-term care insurance makes a great birthday present
RetireMentors: You may be financially responsible for your parent’s long-term care if they live in one of 30 states with filial support laws, says Robert Klein.
• No need to worry about Social Security
• Your retirement might be in better shape
6 things you should know about rebalancing
Annual rebalancing is the best way to buy low and sell high, says Paul Merriman.
When PIIGS fly, everything you know about euro crisis is wrong
Commentary: The euro-zone crisis has flipped from South to North, upending everything policy makers thought, writes Matthew Lynn.
Inflation may hold back BOE rate hike
Two policy members at the Bank of England voted in August to lift the benchmark interest rate, but a slowdown in inflation may be the deciding factor in keeping the rate steady.
• BOE policy makers break ranks on rates
• U.K. inflation cools, easing pressure on BOE
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner