Tokyo Markets Close in:
7 reasons why this Apple cycle will be different
• Apple tops $100, ending at new high
5 celebrity fragrances that may surprise you
• What would you pay for an hour of silence?
Rumbling Iceland volcano making airlines nervous
8 milestones that made Google formidable
• 13 times Google was not a hot stock
• Decade after IPO, Google is still a growth stock
• 10 things you may not know about Google
• Google nears launch of a no-ads YouTube
Robert Shiller: Bonds, housing are also pricey
3 reasons to sell Microsoft, Cisco, other big tech plays Commentary: Tougher competition and lower spending are hurting profit margins, writes Jeff Reeves.
America’s recession-torn construction belt
Construction has yet to reach pre-recession levels in most markets.
• U.S. home construction heats up in July
• Home Depot results beat; raises outlook
• Fewer Americans are paying for homes in cash
• Asia stock markets: Latest quotes
• Ballmer resigns from Microsoft board
• La-Z-Boy shares drop after earnings miss
• Uber hires Obama adviser amid regulatory fight
• U.S. consumer prices rise slightly in July
• Hospira sues FDA over sedative Precedex
• Fed: SEC money-market rule could spark runs
• Hackers steal records of 4.5 mln Americans
• Jackie Chan's son faces prison for marijuana
• How much more does your boss make?
BHP spinoff worth up to $12 billion
BHP Billiton plans to spin off nickel, aluminum and other properties in one of the biggest asset sales in mining history.
• Woodside profit rises on oil output
• Ice Bucket Challenge stirs China controversy
Harry Reid: Loss ‘likely’ in South Dakota
There’s trouble brewing for Democrats in this fall’s South Dakota Senate race, according to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
Why is Priceline investing in this stock?
Trading Deck: It’s a good sign when a successful company takes a stake in an up-and-comer, writes Bill Gunderson.
Tech crash still a painful memory
While the Nasdaq is back to tech-bubble levels, some of tech giants that fueled the bubble still have a way to go.
• Nasdaq breaks out to less-charted territory
• Marder: Leading stocks show improvement
To curb inflation, build more apartments
Opinion: Today’s CPI and housing starts reports are all about supply and demand, writes Rex Nutting.
• Home builders turning toward apartments
Take stock of your life before investing
Opinion: Want to be rich? Chances are investing alone won't do it — and here's why, explains J.J. Zhang.
• Top trader sees 3 dangers for stocks
Ferguson: Two shot as tensions flare again
Tensions flare Monday night in Ferguson, Mo., as police confront demonstrators after hours of peaceful marching.
• Weidner: Why Ferguson matters to investors
• Autopsy finds no struggle in Brown shooting
Mysterious case of
H-P deal for Autonomy
Insight: Investors are still wondering about Hewlett-Packard writing down most of the $11 billion deal, notes Therese Poletti.
4 ways to profit from Harry Potter
A new story is out, and The Boy Who Lived has already helped investors make big returns on memorabilia and even a couple of stocks.
Soros is not the only big investor getting defensive
George Soros’s 13F filing shows a big jump in puts on the S&P 500 ETF, but he’s not the only big investor apparently hedging against a market fall.
• Why Ally Financial may be a better bet
• Where Buffett, Soros are moving their money
Dying doesn’t send away the taxman
What to do if you have to handle a loved one’s final financial matters.
No need to worry about Social Security
RetireMentors: You’ll have to wait for an odd-numbered year if you want Social Security overhaul, says Andy Landis.
• Coloradans have much to celebrate
Your retirement might be
in better shape than you think
RetireMentors: A variable annuity and a mix of high-quality dividend stocks can provide a reliable income stream, says Amit Chopra.
Hong Kong H-shares index flat at 11,095.63
Hoong Kong's Hang Seng opens up 0.1% at 25,156.95
Australia's S&P/ASX little changed at 5,621.70 early
Japan's Topix up 0.2% at 1,282.69 in early moves
Japan's Nikkei Average opens 0.2% up at 15,485.93
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner