Tokyo Markets Close in:
• Alibaba IPO gives Softbank $4.6 billion gain
• Jaffe: Alibaba IPO bulls are missing red flags
• Mark Mobius: Alibaba’s structure is dangerous
• Alibaba holds on to 33% premium
Use these 3 quick tools to gauge your financial health
• This high-yield ETF is worth a close look
• For gold bugs, it's been an unhappy month
10 things retirees won’t tell you that you need to know
• Fed data on retirement saving: Why it’s dismal
• Why portfolio might change when you retire
• Use your home to pay for your retirement
How to shelter hundreds of millions in an IRA account
• 7 things you didn’t know about billionaires
• Weidner: Wall Street back to its wicked ways
California dreamin': Ferrari chief's departing gift
• BMW 2-series convertible coming to U.S.
20 amazing and affordable post-summer vacations The fall and winter months can be an ideal time for an affordable adventure.
• Alibaba, AutoZone Monday's stocks to watch
• Asia stock markets: Latest quotes
• BlackBerry's makeover starting to take shape
• Afghan presidential rivals agree to share power
• New York probes universal-life sales practices
• Daimler making inexpensive trucks in India
• Exxon will halt drilling in Russian Arctic
• This is the Wild West of the ETF industry
• Fitch affirms Triple-A rating for U.S.
China uses web search to compile key data
In an effort to collect timely, accurate data on key topics — such as housing prices or consumer inflation — China’s government has decided to search online.
• Microsoft delays Xbox One’s China launch
• China state media in rare internal fight (Caixin)
EMC weighs merger, other options
Data-storage giant EMC, under pressure from a shareholder activist and faced with the expected retirement of its longtime chief executive, is considering options that could include a merger deal with a rival.
Smooth path for economy still elusive
After a series of ups and downs since the end of the recession, the U.S. economy appears poised for a smoother ride in the year ahead. Or does it?
• Housing sales report on tap this week
Double standard for female pro athlete
U.S. Soccer is drawing heat for letting star goalie Hope Solo play as she awaits trial on domestic-abuse charges. Critics contrast that with NFL teams suspending players in similar cases.
U.S.: Allies will join airstrikes
on Islamic State
U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power (above) says U.S. has built a coalition of nations to launch airborne attacks in Syria on terrorist group.
• Thousands of Syrian Kurds flee Islamic State
• Turkey secures release of 49 captives
Thousands in NYC join march for climate
New York protest is part of call at 2,700 sites around the world for global action on climate change. New York march draws Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio, others.
This 1 chart exposes climate-science deniers
Commentary: The climate science vs. denialism soap opera is dead, says Paul Farrell.
White House intruder had folding knife
Reversing its initial report, Secret Service now says man who jumped fence and entered White House Friday was armed with a folding knife.
• White House intruder breaches security
G-20 plans 2% global growth over next 5 years
Meeting in Australia, central bankers and finance ministers from the top industrialized nations lay out plans for world economic growth over the next five years.
DJIA futures down 74 pts, or 0.4%, to 17,138
S&P 500 futures drop 10.7 points, or 0.5%, to 1,993.10
S&P 500 futures off 20.75 pts, or 0.5%, to 4,072.25
Hong Kong H-shares index down 1.2% at 10,655.32
Hong Kong's Hang Seng opens down 0.1% at 24,072.18
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner