Hobbit stocks to watch: Time Warner, Dolby, Imax
Obamacare raised the cost of your kid’s braces
• Obamacare in California: Signups accelerate
• Obamacare cheat sheet for HealthCare.gov
Lululemon’s exercise in damage control First Take: Lululemon Athletica's succession of PR mishaps may have finally caught up with it.
• Autos lead retail sales higher in November
• Year’s hottest toy may be a 54-year-old Barbie
Here’s what you’ll save by ditching cable TV
• Why cable TV bills are only going up
• I tried to cut the cable cord — and failed
• Netflix won’t dominate at $7.99 per month
• House easily passes budget pact
• DOT secretary weighs ban on in-flight calls
• Dollar hits 5-year high against yen
• Gold futures bounce off October low
• Fidelity pulls plug on bitcoins for IRAs
• Frigid cold sends natural gas to 2-year high
• Coke's Cahillane departs amid shake-up
• Ford to hire more than 3,000 workers
• GM's latest move: cutting Peugeot loose
• Golden Globes: 7 nods apiece for 2 films
• North Korea: uncle of Kim Jong Un executed
Why crude prices ignore Iran
Iran won’t be flooding the world with oil. Rather, it will be consuming it, writes Amotz Asa-El.
• Global recovery is a sheep in wolf’s clothing
• Hulbert: Facebook in S&P 500 a mixed blessing
• Rex Nutting: Banking is just too big
Many women don’t want to be CEO. That’s OK
Commentary: Women have the same opportunities as men — if they want to pursue them, writes Diana Furchtgott-Roth.
• Barra, Yellen and 13 other influential women
Microsoft casts wide net in
search for CEO
Speculation about Ford's Alan Mullaly replacing Steve Ballmer as chief of Microsoft seems to have cooled.
• Samsung loses Korea patent battle vs. Apple
• And for Windows Phone developers? (MV)
• Poletti: Microsoft Surface 2 a holiday hit?
but nest eggs
still face risk
Rising stock prices and housing values doesn't necessarily mean your retirement is now more secure. Here's why.
• Retire Here, Not There: Idaho | Montana
Rich bet on
Once considered toxic, subprime mortgages are being rebranded.
• Nov. foreclosure filings drop 15%: RealtyTrac
• 30-year-mortgage rate declines to 4.42%
• 40-year mortgage may be in the works
the dollar bill
A new study says that replacing $1 paper currency with metal coins would cost U.S. money rather than save it.
• Dollar rises as retail sales improve
Adobe posts a 71% tumble in quarterly profit amid a sharp drop in product sales and higher marketing expenses.
• Quiksilver swings to loss on drop in sales
• Apple’s smartphone share jumps in China
- Loading more headlines...
Best drivers may pay extra for car insurance
How poor credit scores can wreck your car insurance premiums.
• Best Ford Mustangs ever
• Meet Porsche’s new ‘tiger,’ the Macan
• Best high-end 2014 model cars
10 states with the priciest colleges
State investment plays a big part in college costs. Here are the costliest 10 states.
• 10 states where college is most affordable
Money moves to
make if you’re
forced to retire
These workers planned to retire at 65, reports Andrea Coombes. But they were forced to retire at average age of 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
There are numerous ways to add a little spice to your portfolio. Taking advantage of timing is one.
• Making a big play for 2014 right now
• Tune up your portfolio for 2014
• Safe and steady ETFs for the new year
• 2014 stock picks from Barclays
• Deutsche Bank sees stocks up just 3% in 2014
• Trading Strategies: December »
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
Gift cards may solve your holiday shopping problems but they're such big business they're attracting clever thieves.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner