Taper talk rising: Next week may actually be it
St. Louis Federal Reserve chief James Bullard floats the idea of a modest reduction in bond buying at next week's meeting.
• Fed's Fisher backs taper at earliest opportunity
• Fed's Lacker: Taper on the table in December
• Treasury yields pare loss as Fed mulls action
10 states where college
is most affordable
• Young Americans missing out on job gains
The year’s best day to buy a car is right around corner
• ‘Gateway Benz’ targets new type of customer
• Shelby shows off new Mustang GT
• Best Ford Mustang models of the past 50 years
TRADING STRATEGIES: DECember This MarketWatch team of experts has advice to tailor your investments for a prosperous 2014.
• Making a big play for 2014 right now
• Safe and steady ETFs | Portfolio tune-up
• 3 great ways to dress up your portfolio
• See complete report here
• Toll Brothers revenue surges in fourth quarter
• Texas Instruments, GM stocks in focus
• European stocks waver | Asia stocks lower
• Australia dollar lower after China data
• Treasury sells off last of its GM stake
• Snapchat files motion vs. purported co-founder
• Home-builder earnings on tap this week
• Weird workplace gifts
Money moves to make if you’re forced to retire
Workers in this survey said they planned to retire at 65, but were forced to retire at 58 — much sooner than they expected.
• When to take your retirement cash early
• 10 year-end money moves for near retirees
Volcker rule’s new hurdles
New requirements could make it tougher for banks to enter new businesses, according to a draft copy of the Volcker rule expected to be approved Tuesday.
• Why the Volcker Rule can’t fix Wall Street
When it’s better to rent a home
There are situations where a lease beats a mortgage, especially if you need flexibility in retirement, reports Amy Hoak.
• Willard: Bubble-blowing market won't end well
• Why Volcker Rule can’t fix Wall Street
Are housing’s gains over?
Jeff Reeves examines the bull and bear cases for today's housing market.
• Gilburt: 100-point drop for S&P is possible
• Post-recession first: Mortgage debt climbs
WestJet holiday video a hit
The Canadian airline's "Christmas miracle" video, involving a virtual Santa, draws online praise.
• Time Magazine's Person of Year finalists
• Nutcracker: Beloved ballet or holiday ripoff?
FIVE YEARS LATER
Madoff still blaming others
To mark the five-year anniversary of the uncovering of the Ponzi scheme, Sital Patel recalls her meeting with the notorious fraudster.
• Investor: Madoff was too good to be true'
• Investor: 'Madoff is a financial rapist'
- Loading more headlines...
Commuters to take 2014 tax hit
Starting in January, the pre-tax allowance for transit costs will be cut almost in half.
• What’s even worse than divorce? The taxes
10 retail tricks to make you spend
Watch out for these signs that stores are trying to get you to spend more than you want.
• Jack Daniel’s bottles Frank Sinatra
• 10 surprising things to buy with bitcoins
You may not need
as much to retire
Robert Powell explains what you really need, though it's a bit complicated.
• Should you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• Avoid 401(k) tax hit on early withdrawals
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
The Great Recession hurt restaurants and other businesses, but youth sports' impact on the economy grew by billions. The Sports Facilities Advisory's Dev Pathik discusses why.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner