SmartMoney Blogs

Ask SmartMoney
Your personal finance questions, answered.

Should College Savings Be in a Parent or Child’s Name?

Question: When saving for college, is it better to have money in the child’s name or a parent’s name? How does this affect financial aid?

Tina Aldrich, Holden, Mo.

Answer: It’s never a bad idea to get kids involved in their own college savings. But it’s worth noting that most custodial accounts (those managed by an adult for a minor) are considered assets of the child. And even though there are small tax savings that come with having money in Junior’s name, the financial-aid formula generally offers more protection for parent-held savings, says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of, a financial-aid information site. For instance, a smaller percentage of parental assets can be tapped for college costs, while some funds, such as retirement plans, aren’t included in the financial-aid calculation at all.


We welcome thoughtful comments from readers. Please comply with our guidelines. Our blogs do not require the use of your real name.

Comments (0)

    • Be the first to leave a comment on this blog.

About Ask SmartMoney

  • Ask SmartMoney has a single, simple mission: Answer your questions. Answers are written by the staff of and SmartMoney magazine, with the help of outside experts. Topics cover investing, spending, retirement planning, saving for college, insurance, taxes and more. Submit your question in the form below, or email