SmartMoney Blogs

Ask SmartMoney
Your personal finance questions, answered.

How Do I Fix A 401(k) Rollover Error?

Question: I rolled over my 401(k) into what I thought was an IRA but I just found out that my money has been in a non-IRA brokerage account the whole time. What should I do now?

Answer: First, know that you are not alone. This mistake is not uncommon, experts say.  Your first step is to figure out if you paid taxes and penalties when you moved the money out of your 401(k), says Ed Slott, an IRA consultant in Rockville Centre, N.Y.  Check your income tax return for that year.  You should have received a Form-1099 that showed your taxable distribution, says Slott. Your tax return would also show if you paid taxes on that income. Chances are the Internal Revenue Service withheld 20% of your savings when you took the money out of the 401(k) to cover penalties and taxes.

To roll over a 401(k) without a hitch, you have 60 days after taking the money out of the 401(k) to move it into another tax-advantaged account such as an IRA or another 401(k). For those who make a mistake and end up in your situation, you may be able to correct the error and avoid the tax bill by applying for a private letter ruling, whereby the IRS offers guidance on your particular issue.

A ruling in your favor could allow you to move the money into an IRA after the fact, says Slott. However, the process can take six to nine months and may cost up to $10,000 in fees due to the IRS and any adviser hired, he adds. Depending on how much you have saved, it may make more sense to leave the money in the non-IRA brokerage account, especially if you’ve already paid taxes due, says Slott.  If you want to move that money into a retirement account,  SmartMoney offers a calculator that helps you choose the best IRA and a retirement calculator to help you calculate if you are saving enough for retirement.

For more:


We welcome thoughtful comments from readers. Please comply with our guidelines. Our blogs do not require the use of your real name.

Comments (5 of 5)

View all Comments »
    • Let us show you the difference our emailing service makes. We guarantee results or your campaign is free. Stop paying for emails that just end up in the junk folder, we get into more inboxes than any other service. In business since 1999 we know a thing or two about emailing. Please reply to for details and pricing now.

    • I agree with sethstorm on this one:6) Third World wkreors working for American companies overseas are being exploited (unenlightened answer: agree).7) Free trade leads to unemployment (unenlightened answer: agree). The first point is highly debatable, since those involved can have remarkably little freedom to choose other options. And free trade tends to generate jobs on net, but it can surely create local unemployment. Failing to acknowledge that is wrong.

    • I had an interest only motrgage because it made it more flexible. I worked hard and saved hard and paid off chunks as and when I could. I have now paid it off and am motrgage free. It is a bit like a credit card if you use it wisely you are okay!

    • Hi Bill I like what you are doing with your blog and think that visitors to mine could beinfet from your insight and stories. I am adding you to my Blogroll this morning. Keep the good posts coming!Dave Bernard

    • *******

      It’s a Little off Topic but Anyone Looking for a Job Should Check Out this Website!

      They are Hiring People to Work from Home for $67/hour

      This Job Program has saved Our Whole Family from the Recession!

      And I Can Work from Home with my Kids !


About Ask SmartMoney

  • Ask SmartMoney has a single, simple mission: Answer your questions. Answers are written by the staff of and SmartMoney magazine, with the help of outside experts. Topics cover investing, spending, retirement planning, saving for college, insurance, taxes and more. Submit your question in the form below, or email