SmartMoney Blogs

Ask SmartMoney
Your personal finance questions, answered.

How Do I Use Savings Bonds for College Expenses?

Question: I have purchased EE bonds for the past 18 years for my daughters with the expectation of using them for qualified college expenses (tax exempt was the plan). I make over $150,000 now and I think that income far exceeds the cutoff for getting the tax break. The bonds were made out in each of my daughter’s names with “or Gregory Parker” (me). Can my girls redeem the bonds as needed for college, since the bonds are in their names, with no tax implications to them or me? If not, can they redeem them at their tax rate?

– Gregory S. Parker   Fernandina Beach, Fla.

Answer: You’re right: You currently earn too much to take advantage of the savings bond education tax exclusion, which allows qualified taxpayers to exclude from their gross income all or part of the interest earned on eligible Series EE and Series I bonds issued after 1989 if that money is used for college tuition. The tax break is phased out for single filers who make between $70,100 and $85,100 and for married couples filing jointly who make between $106,650 and $136,650.

Unfortunately, your daughters will also not be eligible for the tax benefit because they did not purchase the bonds. However, since it appears the bonds were given to your daughters as a gift – and are in their names – they should be able to cash them and report the income as their own (at a lower tax rate than you), says Mel Schwarz, a partner at Grant Thornton’s tax office.

Your daughters, however, could be subject to the so-called “kiddie tax” if they are younger than 24 and receive at least half their financial support from you. That means investment income of more than $1,900 would be taxed at the parents’ marginal rate rather than at the child’s likely lower rate.  One way to decrease this tax burden is to redeem the bonds gradually each year to avoid hitting the $1,900, says Schwarz.

Since parents often underestimate how much they’ll be earning when their children are ready for college, Schwarz recommends that clients open a 529 college savings plan, which is an investment account for higher education expenses. Like an IRA, the savings grow tax-free and there’s no tax on the gains — regardless of how much the parents are earning when the money is used. Many states also provide a tax deduction or another benefit for contributions.

Also See:


We welcome thoughtful comments from readers. Please comply with our guidelines. Our blogs do not require the use of your real name.

Comments (1 of 1)

View all Comments »
    • Here’s Pam Palmater on (way back on October 6th): While conservatives can eailsy sell a bill with the unassailable message of accountability, the real message is much more insidious: it asks Canadians to conclude, without any proof, that First Nations are not accountable for funding they receive from the federal government and that the ONLY way to address this is for the conservative government to ride in on its white horse and save the Indians. I’ve linked to your post, reginamom. Thanks for alerting Progressive Bloggers, as what CTF (and the compliant news media) is doing, as it is absolutely toxic.

About Ask SmartMoney

  • Ask SmartMoney has a single, simple mission: Answer your questions. Answers are written by the staff of and SmartMoney magazine, with the help of outside experts. Topics cover investing, spending, retirement planning, saving for college, insurance, taxes and more. Submit your question in the form below, or email