SmartMoney Blogs

Ask SmartMoney
Your personal finance questions, answered.

How Will Leasing a Car Impact My Credit Score?

Question: The common advice is to not open any new credit before applying for a mortgage. If I lease a car, how will it affect my credit score, and how much time should I allow before I try to buy a home?

– Ron Sim, Los Angeles

Answer: You might want to hold off on that new ride. In the world of FICO credit scores, leasing a car and getting a loan to buy one are treated the same way. “New credit implies a higher level of risk,” says Barry Paperno, the consumer operations manager for myFICO.com. Signing those lease forms means you’re essentially opening a new account, which can lower your credit score. And it could take up to a year to resuscitate your magic number assuming you pay all your bills on time.

For More Information:

Send questions to ask@smartmoney.com. Please include your name and address.

Comments

We welcome thoughtful comments from readers. Please comply with our guidelines. Our blogs do not require the use of your real name.

Comments (5 of 8)

• Maybe it wasn’t that great. On the other hand, touching a controversial topic or giving a controversial angle tend to bring up lots of comments

• thanks for your share guys

• Jako nowy uzytkownik na forum, na wstepie witam wszystkich i serdecznie pozdrawiam. Mieszkam w Karkoszowie ok.30 km od Gorzowa Wlkp.(lubuskie). W domu mam stacje bazowa – radio President “George” i antena 5/8 “Lemm at920″, a zazwyczaj mozna mnie znalezc na kanale 36 am, czyli na czestotliwosci 27.360 Mhz, chodz ostatnio moze troche rzadziej niz to bywalo dawniej. Coz wiecej moge dodac….lubie czasem troche “pogrzebac” przy sprzecie CB i nie tylko (ostatnio bardziej sklaniam sie w kierunku…komputerow) a czasem takze staram sie pomoc takze innym w miare moich skromnych mozliwosci. Oczywiscie jestem tylko amatorem i traktuje to wszystko jako moje hobby. Jeszcze raz pozdrawiam wszystkich – 73 radiowe.

• By WebOsPublisher

Bank and finance free icons vector consist of book,check,money bag,and logo bank icon available ai and jpeg format file in template free download in design
      Bank Free Icons Vector | stock vector
      Food and Drink
      Valentine
      Layouts
      Home » Icons » Bank Free Icons Vector
      Bank Free Icons Vector
      Friday, September 23rd 2011. Category : Icons views : 18
      Bank and finance free icons vector consist of book, check, money bag, and logo banking icon available ai and jpeg format file in template free download in design project free and exclusive vector icons called Primo. The icons are provided in both raster and vector formats
      В bank iconsВ  illustrator
      Free Icons Banking Vector
      1 AI | +TIFF Preview | 14 MB
      download
      filesonic.com/file/2108667234/stl_bnk_ic_vct.rar
      Incoming search terms:bank vector, Bank icon, bank icon vector, bank icons, bank vector free, Bank Check Clip Art, free download icon, money bank clip art
      tags: Bank and Finnace Vector, Bank Icons, Banking Icons, Free Icons Bank Vector
      Related Post Bank Free Icons Vector
      Bright Computers Icons Vectors
      Thursday, November 15th 2012. | Icons |
      views : 1368
      Bright computers icons vectorsВ В pack with computer network icon, internet icon, disc icon, usb devices, calculator icon, light bulb icon, clock icon, mail icon and
      Shiny Icons Stock Vector
      Monday, October 22nd 2012. | Icons |
      views : 1354
      Shiny icons stock vectorВ with plenty of simple and iconic vector clip art images of communication, social media, computer technology, travel, transportation, modern lifestyle, and
      Various Economic Icons Vector
      Thursday, October 18th 2012. | Icons |
      views : 1350
      Various economic icons vector with differentВ economy symbols graphics for your finance, computer, internet and apps. This pack of economic icons vector include the icons
      Icons Vector Collection
      Thursday, October 11th 2012. | Icons |
      views : 1343
      Icons vector collection В include various icons for your web apps or computer such as : download icon, trash icon,В hour glass icon, profile icon, floppy
      Stylish Coffee Logo Vector
      Wednesday, September 26th 2012. | Icons |
      views : 1343
      Stylish coffee logo vectorВ for a cafГ©, bar, restaurant or tearoom logo graphic designs. A modern style of coffee logo vector available in editable Illustrator
      Categories
      Sport
      Uncategorized
      Valentine
      Vector Art
      Popular
      Hotel Icon Set Vector Stock
      Bank and finance free icons vector…
      Stock Vector – Newspaper Icons
      Bank and finance free icons vector…
      Vivid Green Nature Icons Vecto
      Bank and finance free icons vector…
      Friends
      AI Vectors
      Free Vector
      Vector Art
      Recent Search Terms :christmas card designchristmas email html templatevector free brosur cdrmenu coffee shopfree vector christmascliparts free downloadsmerry xmas $ happy new year 2013christmas card ideasornaments in CDR Formatlogo invitation card design samples
      About
      Contact
      DMCA
      Privacy
      Copyright © 2012 All trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners.
      var infolinks_pid = 1068699;
      var infolinks_wsid = 3;

• By WebOsPublisher

Copy $ Paste icons « Technical Support Forums
      .bb_smilies border:0; vertical-align: middle; padding-bottom:1px;
      .bb_smilies cursor: pointer; cursor: hand;
      #bbClicker position: absolute; float: right; visibility: hidden; background: buttonface; width: 150px; border:2px inset buttonface; font: 1.2em times, serif;
      #bbClicker img padding:5px;
      #bb_smilies_toggle float:right; padding: 0px 6px 1px 6px; margin: 1px 7px 2px 0; font: 1.2em times, serif; word-spacing: -1px; height: 16px; vertical-align:middle; line-height:16px;’);
      ornj.net
      Navigation
      Home
      About
      Support
      Tip Jar
      Technical Support Forums
      Username
      Password
      or register
      Technical Support Forums » Araneae
      Copy $ Paste icons (17 posts)
      About this Topic
      Started 10 years ago by David
      Latest reply from epp_b
      Tags
      No tags yet.
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      I can’t say how strongly I feel about this one. There is something ‘beautiful’ about Araneae that has me coming back to it despite this one annoyance that I am never able to get over.
      The annoyance is the absence of the copy $ paste icons on the toolbar. I know the argument about different people wanting different icons but the copy $ paste icons are virtually standard on ALL editing applications and their absence is a major annoyance (for me!). Their absence is made all the more noticeable by the inclusion of icons which seem to me to be particularly ‘occasional use’ icons ( like inserting the date or colour).
      I just feel adding these 2 major icons would not affect anything else (there’s plenty of room for them) and would ‘smooth’ operations a lot for a lot of users.
      But thanks for the nice program anyway.
      David
      jay
      Posted 10 years ago
      You should get into the habit of using Ctrl-C for copy and Ctrl-V for paste. You’re typing code anyway, so it’s more convenient to use the keyboard exclusively, rather than having to move one hand towards the mouse for something as simple as copy and paste.
      What we all need are applications with cleaner UIs. A lot of people stick to plain old notepad because it’s simple; the interface is clean, with no buttons cluttering up the window.
      If only it had syntax highlighting…
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      oh I can’t let that one go by without a response. I’m not going imply that YOU should use your mouse more but I think the majority of people are mouse users rather than cntrl key operators.
      Most of my editing work involves pasting and moving around blocks of text. A mouse is much quicker for that. I often hardly touch the keyboard.
      Adding two ‘standard’ icons to the toolbar is hardly cluttering up anything. I’m sure Mr Araneae is not going to remove the toolbar altogether.
      David
      Mark
      Administrator
      Posted 10 years ago
      I’ll admit it’s somewhat of an embarrassing omission. I’ve yet to see another text application that does not include copy and paste icons. They’ll be in Araneae 5.
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      This is good news! Thank you!
      I would like to mention one other little thing – the text of the filename on the tab of a modified file changes colour until it is saved. This is good, but the problem is it is hard to actually see or notice. A red dot or something might be preferable.
      But thanks again for a very nice and simple (to use) program.
      David
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      This is actually to Jay, second from the top of this page. You can nix the toolbar:
      options > view > toolbar (uncheck it.)
      alibaba
      Posted 10 years ago
      copy $ paste icons sucks.
      i use ctrl-c and ctrl-c and i always done it.
      and i dont think alot people use those crap icons.
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      I’d have to agree with alibaba. I find those icons rather useless.
      nurb
      Posted 10 years ago
      i’d have to say i’ve never used copy and paste icons in any program. using ctrl+x/c/v is incredibly faster and if you’re to lazy to type on the keyboard a right click on the mouse is still faster. the thing is even if mark does add icons i don’t have to use them. so if some people want them then why not add them?
      saucy
      Posted 10 years ago
      I personally won’t use the icons, but say add the stupid icons… just in case my grandmom or kid cousin wants to learn some coding basics and needs to cut and paste something… or in case the program is used by somebody that is “all thumbs”
      tetsugin
      Posted 10 years ago
      i agree that using ctrl-c/v is much faster and more widely used, also that the copy and paste icons would be a waste of space on the toolbar. i think a good idea would be to leave the toolbar blank or have some default icons and leave it customizable. this way any1 who wants copy and paste icons can have them and those who dont (me and many others) dont have to deal with them and have more space for our own options .
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      “that the copy and paste icons would be a waste of space on the toolbar”
      “say add the stupid icons… just in case my grandmom or kid cousin wants to learn some coding basics and needs to cut and paste something”
      Wow, now I see why there are so many hopeless programs out there!!! I work full time updating a big multilingual website on a daily basis. Control key operation would be insane in my kind of work I suggest you guys learn how useful a mouse can be!!
      I don’t know if making the toolbar customizable has been mentioned on the wishlist, I would certainly like that, but I will just be very happy to have the cut and paste icons included.
      saucy
      Posted 10 years ago
      David, glad to hear that you “work full time….” doing really important things. Actually… I’m lying. I don’t care.
      these shortcut keys are really the only ones you need to know:
      Ctrl A – select all
      Ctrl S – save
      Ctrl Z – undo
      Ctrl X – cut
      Ctrl C – copy
      Ctrl V – paste
      Ctrl P – print
      And amazingly enough you can use these in countless “hopeless programs” including your webrowser (chances are you have a print icon but none of the others)
      David
      Hello saucy,
      Sorry to bore you with my ‘importantness’. Needless to say I aint important but I do actually USE programs for work.
      Thanks for your list of cntl keys. What you seem unable to grasp is that pressing keys on keyboards is SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW.
      In the big wide world out there, the ubiquitous mouse has become accepted as rather a useful device. I’m sure you and a few others would be happy to continue using just DOS programs but please don’t discourage Mark from catering for the rest of us.
      But don’t lets get too warlike over all this. At least we have one thing in common – a liking for Mark’s Araneae
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      Anyone ever heard of using the mouse and the keyboard? It really works, you know. Select the text you need with the mouse then use ctrl+c (or x, if cutting). Then use the mouse to insert the carot where needed, then simply hit ctrl+v to paste. Yes, it’s really that simple!
      Anyway, I’ll have to agree with David: It’s not worth arguing about!
      Mark, just add the silly icons or a customizable toolbar with those icons in the toolbar options.
      nurb
      Posted 10 years ago
      You guys stil talking about this?
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      Yes, and it is pretty ridiculous that we all keep going on about such a simple subject. But, hey here I am writing about it, so I’ll stop.
      registration requires JavaScript (required)
      Post Content
      ©Copyright 2012 Orangeline Interactive.
      Forums powered by bbPress.

About Ask SmartMoney

• Ask SmartMoney has a single, simple mission: Answer your questions. Answers are written by the staff of SmartMoney.com and SmartMoney magazine, with the help of outside experts. Topics cover investing, spending, retirement planning, saving for college, insurance, taxes and more. Submit your question in the form below, or email ask@smartmoney.com.