Deep Dive: Gains of up to 82% far outpace the index, while retailers lose big, writes Phil van Doorn.
Time to hit the books
It's September, and with the kids back in school, our group of experts offer ideas on how to profit from the season.
• School time may be the right time for Apple
• 3 stocks to rock back-to-school season
• A lesson in buying low in a high group
• See complete report here
Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car
• Google driverless car nowhere near ready
• Auto makers ask: Is this as good as it gets?
Apple fixes iCloud flaw in hack of celebrity accounts
10 companies that control the world’s food
• Americans are eating a bit better: study
• 6 real culprits making American kids fat
6 educational apps for kids worth every penny
Why passive investing will keep gaining ground
• Active funds may take 100% of your gains
5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada
• 5 reasons Americans are unhappy
• BHP, Rio Tinto shares higher as FTSE 100 gains
• Gold slips despite violence in Ukraine
• Apple, Tesla are stocks to watch on Tuesday
• Oil steady | Dollar climbs against yen
• Apple, Visa in iPhone wallet deal
• Arthur Andersen returns: Tax firm takes name
• Detroit bankruptcy trial set to open
• U.S. economy still hitting speed bumps
• Alibaba stock may debut by Sept. 18
• Joan Rivers is on life support
• Asian stock markets: Latest quotes
Aging population faces housing shortage
A new report says that there won’t be enough affordable, physically accessible and well-located housing for the country’s oldest adults.
• You’re paying for things the wrong way
Is Draghi’s finger on the QE trigger?
What data to watch for as investors wait to find out whether ECB chief Mario Draghi will act.
• French 2-year yield turns negative for first time
• Contraction in German GDP confirmed
• EU’s new leaders: Pole, Italian
Russian duty-free store ‘bans’ Obama
If the U.S. president visits Vladivostok airport, he (and other Western leaders) won't be able to go duty-free shopping.
• Russia signals hard line over Ukraine talks
China gives Microsoft 20 days to explain
The antitrust investigators call for Microsoft to clarify what they call compatibility and bundling issues.
• Australia's current-account deficit widens
• Stephen: Beijing's hardball with Hong Kong
• Japan creates 30-minute Ebola test: report
Is your ‘alternative’ fund a ticking time bomb?
Commentary: Most people who own “alternative mutual funds” have no idea what they’ve got in their portfolio, writes Chuck Jaffe.
• Data point to an encouraging correlation
• Gayed: Europe needs to stop the insanity
• Synaptics has the right touch (Barron's)
10 things tele- marketers won’t say
Telemarketing is now a $12 billion industry, so those annoying dinnertime phone calls won’t be stopping anytime soon.
• What billionaires won’t tell you
Make your kid rich for $1 a day
RetireMentors: This extremely modest investment can yield $4 million when your child reaches age 65, says Paul Merriman.
• How to avoid 4 traps that wreck retirement
• Estate-planning issues when age gap is large
• 5 ways to make sure you can afford retirement
Investors will find Ukraine harder to ignore
As the situation in Ukraine worsens, investors will find it harder to look away.
• Ukraine loses ground to rebels
• Russia defiant on new Western sanctions
• Who loses if Russia turns off the natural gas
• What experts are saying about Putin-Ukraine
6 books Bills Gates says you should read
Microsoft founder Bill Gates has recommended books on business, finance and Obamacare — as well as a romantic comedy.
Test drive: The 2015 Corvette 8-speed auto
Corvette's new car shifts faster than many dual-clutch transmissions like the Porsche 911, an Autoweek test-drive finds.
• How to ship the ugliest $3 million car
• The most-hated car company in the U.S. is ...
• Honda Fit: The perfect back-to-school special
Australia's RBA holds policy interest rate steady at 2.5%
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner