Tokyo Markets Close in:
to send pre-meet message
China trade surplus widens to five-year high A container port in Shanghai.
China posts its biggest trade surplus in almost five years, potentially resurrecting a source of friction with the U.S. Still, some wonder if fake invoicing and other issues have crept back into the data.
• Japan lowers third-quarter growth reading
• Japan swings to current account deficit
Japan stocks rally on yen
Japanese stocks jump, with exporters finding support as the dollar gains further on the yen and euro-yen hits its highest level since 2008.
• Australia stocks slip; QBE shares tumble
• QBE Insurance tips loss on higher U.S. claims
Heavy snow blitzes NFL
A big storm invading East Coast from heartland blankets NFL games across the region.
• Storm invades East, aims at Northeast
Commuters take tax hit
Starting in January, the pre-tax allowance for your transit costs will be slashed nearly in half.
• What’s even worse than divorce? The taxes
• Covidien buying Given Imaging for $860 million
• Global cocoa shortage to continue
• India's ruling party trounced in state elections
• ECB has necessary inflation tools: Weidmann
• WTO agrees to pursue $1 trillion trade pact
• Yahoo acquires Evntlive concert video service
• Yingluck offers vote on Thailand crisis
• Hong Kong quarantines 19 in 2nd bird-flu case
• Friday recap: Stocks jump on jobs report
It's just what Jesus would do
The pope is being called a communist for saying we're too concerned with money, writes Al Lewis.
• Farrell: 12 get-rich sectors for 2014
• Arends: All that's wrong with Christmas
10 retail tricks to make you spend
Watch out for these signs that stores are trying to get you to spend more than you really want to.
• Jack Daniel’s bottles Frank Sinatra
• 10 surprising things you can buy with bitcoins
When to buy
Value stocks may be a good addition to your retirement portfolio if you're investing for a long retirement. Robert Powell explains when this makes sense.
• Avoid 401(k) tax hit on early withdrawals
• Why your muni-bond fund is in a sorry state
• How QE has cost savers $360 billion
Meet the 2015 Ford Mustang
Ahead of next year’s 50th anniversary celebrations for the iconic Mustang, Ford has unveils the sixth-generation pony car at events around the world.
• Shelby's latest version of the Mustang GT
• Best Mustangs of the past 50 years
• 'Gateway Benz' targets new type of customer
China wholesale prices down 1.4% vs year earlier
Shanghai Composite gains 0.5% in early trade
Hang Seng H-shares index climbs 1.2% at open
China Nov. consumer prices rise 3% vs year earlier
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rises 0.7% at open
Shanghai Composite up 0.2% premarket
Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index up 1% premarket
Japan stocks jump at open; Nikkei Average up 1.7%
Japan yen steady after GDP cut; dollar at ¥103.20
Japan GDP revised down to +1.1% vs. year earlier
Japan July-Sept. GDP revised to +0.3% vs. +0.5%
Japan's Nikkei Average futures up 2% on SGX
Australia's S&P/ASX 200 up 0.1% at 5,192.60 early
- Loading more headlines...
Obamacare cheat sheet makes
Use these six tips to make signing up for Obamacare at HealthCare.gov goes more smoothly that it might otherwise.
• 10 things emergency rooms won’t tell you
• Medicare users to get a break
• Last-minute tips for Medicare enrollment
You may not need
as much to retire
Robert Powell explains what you really need, though it's a bit complicated.
• Should you convert to a Roth IRA this year?
• NFL team hires older coaches as mentors
• Avoid 401(k) tax hit on early withdrawals
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are essential year-end strategies to shrink your tax bill, including donations, medical deductions and Roth IRA conversions.
Wearing your heart-rate on your wrist: Futuresource Consulting's Simon Bryant says wearable electronics are the next big thing.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner