Tokyo Markets Open in:
Fed defends the dollar — the $1 bill vs. the $1 coin
Obamacare raised the cost of your kid’s braces
• Obamacare cheat sheet for HealthCare.gov
• California Obamacare has 80% of state's MDs
Retire Here, Not There:
Best places in Idaho
• Retire Here, Not There: Montana
Here’s what you’ll save by ditching cable TV
• Why cable TV bills are only going up
• I tried to cut the cable cord — and failed
• Netflix won’t dominate at $7.99 per month
• Another triple-digit loss for the Dow
• North Korea: uncle of Kim Jong Un executed
• DOT secretary weighs ban on in-flight calls
• Frigid cold sends natural gas to 2-year high
• Rogers says silver a better deal than gold
• Facebook status update: It’s complicated
• Jobless claims highest in two months
• Golden Globes: Seven nods apiece for two films
Boehner rips right-wing budget foes
Speaker says conservative groups criticizing budget compromise have lost all credibility.
• 'Grand bargain' less likely, budget expert says
• Pro–Hillary Clinton super PAC gains pace
• Judd Gregg stokes Senate speculation
• Fed ‘dream team’: Yellen and Fischer
Lululemon’s exercise in damage control
First Take: Lululemon Athletica's succession of PR mishaps may have finally caught up with it.
• Year’s hottest toy may be a 54-year-old woman
Microsoft casting wide net in CEO search
Speculation about Ford's Mullaly replacing Microsoft's Ballmer seems to have cooled.
• Apple’s smartphone share jumps in China
• Samsung loses Korea patent battle vs. Apple
• What's in it for Windows Phone developer? (MV)
• Surface 2 looks like a holiday hit for Microsoft
Rich bet on ‘sane’ subprime
Once considered toxic, subprime mortgages are being rebranded.
• Nov. foreclosure filings drop 15%: RealtyTrac
• 30-year-mortgage rate declines to 4.42%
• A 40-year mortgage may be in the works
J.P. Morgan Madoff cost: $1 billion
The bank is in talks to end a criminal probe over whether it provided adequate warnings over Madoff.
• Lewis: Hundreds of Madoffs ripping people off
• Madoff prison interview: Still blaming others
is a sheep in wolf’s clothing
Investors assume global financial crisis over. But real economy is moribund, writes Satyajit Das.
Australia S&P/ASX 200 down 0.1% at 5,056.80 early
- Loading more headlines...
Best drivers may pay extra for car insurance
How poor credit scores can wreck your car insurance premiums.
• Best Ford Mustang models of the past 50 years
• Meet Porsche’s new ‘tiger,’ the Macan
• Best high-end 2014 model cars
10 states with the priciest colleges
State investment plays a big part in the cost of college. Here are the 10 states where college is most expensive.
• 10 states where college is most affordable
Money moves to
make if you’re
forced to retire
These workers planned to retire at 65, reports Andrea Coombes. But they were forced to retire at average age of 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
There are numerous ways to add a little spice to your portfolio. Taking advantage of timing is one.
• Making a big play for 2014 right now
• Tune up your portfolio for 2014
• Safe and steady ETFs for the new year
• 2014 stock picks from Barclays
• Deutsche Bank sees stocks up just 3% in 2014
• Trading Strategies: December »
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
Gift cards may solve your holiday shopping problems but they're such big business they're attracting clever thieves.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner