New York Markets Close in:
PayPal wants to be the pure-play leader in mobile payments but says it wants to be in other wallets.
• EBay to spin off PayPal business
• Apple nudges PayPal deeper into bitcoin
• Analysts have high expectations for Apple Pay
Banks refashion branches as consumer habits shift
Netflix to roll out sequel to ‘Crouching Tiger’ film
• DreamWorks deal derails, but share fall muted
On the streets with Hong Kong’s young protesters
‘Umbrella Revolution’ risk to Hong Kong economy
The massive wave of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong may deliver a hard blow to the territory’s economy, and even all of China, analysts say.
• Democracy protests in Hong Kong: slide show
• Hong Kong stocks slide in September
Apple preps for ‘insatiable’ iPhone 6 demand in China
• Apple, Fiat tax deals broke state-aid rules: EU
Despite insurance, 1 in 3 cancer survivors in debt
• Apple may owe $200 mln in back taxes to EU
• GoPro’s new cameras for those who go slower
• California to ban single-use plastic bags
• Chicago PMI slows to 60.5 in September
• Consumer confidence falls sharply
U.S. benchmarks teetering at major support levels
Analysis: The widely tracked U.S. benchmarks now face some important tests, notes Michael Ashbaugh.
• Hussman sees ‘ingredients of a market crash’
• Expect bigger, badder bubbles: Cody Willard
• Is this the correction? asks L.A. Little
• Jeff Reeves: This can’t be a stock bubble
Why you should ignore October crash warnings
RetireMentors: The pundits will tell you that the markets’ biggest crashes come in October. Don’t buy it, says Amit Chopra
Secret Service director testifies in House
LIVE BLOG AND VIDEO: Julia Pierson testifies after shocking White House security breach.
Ford slices full-year profit view
Just three months into the top job at Ford, Mark Fields slashes full-year profit outlook.
• Did market overpunish Ford? (24/7 Wall St.)
Wal-Mart: No seat belt in Tracy Morgan crash
Retailer argues that the comedian “acted unreasonably” in failing to wear seat belt.
Germany fights on two fronts to preserve eurozone
Opinion: More opposition than ever for Merkel and ECB, say Adriano Bosoni and Mark Fleming-Williams.
• Eurozone inflation hits five-year low
One very shocking wildlife stat
Earth's human population has just about doubled from 1970. But what has happened to the planet's wildlife?
The Fed would like to do it all, but it can’t
Opinion: Fed officials may say there’s nothing the central bank can’t do when it comes to managing the economy, but Irwin Kellner says that isn’t exactly true.
Ignore the ‘Goldman tapes’
Opinion: The New York Fed sold out, and that’s all you need to know, writes David Weidner.
• A tough-on-Wall Street replacement for Holder?
Should you drink the annuity COLA?
RetireMentors: Stan Haithcock runs down the different types of inflation-adjusted annuities and the strategies that make sense for you.
• Social Security strategies for married couples
4 things to consider before remarrying
Here are financial issues that should be addressed before walking down the aisle again.
• College graduates likelier to stay married
10 things Starbucks won’t say about coffee
There's no pumpkin in the pumpkin spice latte, but there is a secret menu.
Corporate debt feels heat from Pimco outflows
With billions of dollars fleeing Pimco, corporate debt and derivatives are feeling the most impact.
• Pimco ETF sees $446.5 million outflow: report
• Pimco Total Return Fund rating cut to bronze
• Bill Gross is easily the smartest guy at Janus
- Loading more headlines...
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner