New York Markets After Hours
Trading Deck: Meena Krishnamsetty says if you want large-cap stocks, these are top picks.
Introducing the new MarketWatch cord-cutting calculator.
• Why cable TV bills are only going up
• I tried to cut the cable cord — and failed
• Netflix won’t dominate at $7.99 per month
Obamacare sign-ups quadruple in November
Surprises lurk behind the data as health-care reform implementation completes Month 2.
• Health care due for big changes in 2014
• Health law weighs on Obama approval rating
• The Obamacare shopping list for boomers
Our guide to getting gratuities right this time of year, from a senior care aide to teachers to dog walkers.
Is this premium Starbucks gift card a waste of $50?
This rose-colored Starbucks gift card that sold for $450 came loaded with $400 to spend at Starbucks as well as the company's "gold" status.
• Fidelity will let you put bitcoins in your IRA
• Eight outrageous CEO perks (24/7 Wall St.)
• Friday's Mega Millions lottery hits $400 million
• Soaring home-price growth seen slowing in ’14
• U.S. solar installations up 20% from year ago
• Hilton IPO: buying a piece of the Waldorf?
• Pope Francis is Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
LIVE MARKETS BLOG
Taper talk costs Dow 130 points
Stocks move lower Wednesday as markets fret the Fed, but Twitter and MasterCard are upside standouts.
• MasterCard, Visa gain in S&P; Avon in the red
Forecaster of the month
O'Sullivan says economy better than GDP shows
Jim O’Sullivan, who won the Forecaster of the Month award for a record 11th time, says he thinks the economy is in better shape than the GDP numbers show.
Central banks will keep QE forever
Quantitative easing and zero interest rates are going to be around for a lot longer than most investors realize, says Matthew Lynn.
• The Yellen bubbles and investing going forward
Albert Edwards has one question for his critics
This uber-bear sees the U.S. economy slipping into recession. Now he's pointing to the pace of earnings downgrades.
• Hulbert: Do bull markets ever die in December?
10 states where college is priciest
State investment plays a big part in the cost of college. Based on College Board data, here are the 10 states where college is most expensive.
• 10 states where college is most affordable
10 reasons to buy Apple shares now
Commentary: Apple expectations have changed, says Jeff Reeves.
• H-P's Whitman: Desktops are not dead
Where Twitter trumps Facebook
Twitter and LinkedIn were named the best tech companies to work for in 2014, edging last year's leaders, Facebook and Google, according to the annual Glassdoor survey.
- Loading more headlines...
Money moves to make if you’re forced to retire
These workers planned to retire at 65, reports Andrea Coombes. But they were forced to retire at average age of 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
House bill could ban in-flight phone calls
Republican's proposal could bar calls before FCC has chance to say OK. Texts could get a pass.
Your rent really is
too damn high
Renting has gotten less affordable. More Americans are forking over half their salaries to landlords.
• Getting big mortgage gets tougher
There are numerous ways to add a little spice to your portfolio. Taking advantage of timing is one.
• Making a big play for 2014 right now
• Tune up your portfolio for 2014
• Safe and steady ETFs for the new year
• 2014 stock picks from Barclays
• Deutsche Bank sees stocks up just 3% in 2014
• Trading Strategies: December »
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
CEO Robert Hohman talks about who takes top honors and why.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner