SmartMoney Blogs

Real-Time Advice
Our real-time advice on how market shifts and news impact you and your money

Who Would Pay $5,000 to Use Google? (You)

New research finds people fork over $5,000 worth of personal information a year to Google in exchange for access to its “free services” such as Gmail and search. While many view this as a fair trade, privacy experts say the Internet giant’s latest plan to pool user data from its various sites make it less so.

The new privacy policy – which Google contends will allow it to better target ads — goes into effect on March 1. In a press release, the company said it may combine the information users submit under their email accounts with information from other Google services or third parties. What people do and share on the social networking site Google+, Gmail and YouTube will be combined to create a more three-dimensional picture of consumers’ likes and dislikes, according to reports.  Google did not return calls seeking comment.

Experts say that information is more valuable than people may think. Michael Fertik, CEO and founder of Reputation.com, one of a slew of new paid – and free — services to help consumers keep their web use anonymous, says personal information can be worth between $50 and $5,000 per person per year to advertisers and market researchers – depending on how much they spend and how useful the information is to third parties. Fertik says this explains why online breaches are so lucrative and on the rise. Others say the data may be worth billions of dollars to social networking sites and online marketing agencies. “Their entire market cap is related to how much data is being collected and used,” says Jules Polonetsky, director of the Future of Privacy Forum, a Washington, D.C.-based think-tank.

There are ways consumers can block online tracking, however. “Use private browsing, that’s Lesson 101,” Fertik says. For instance, FireFox web browser comes with a “Do Not Track” option via “Options,” “Privacy” and “Tracking.” Reputation cleanup sites can also remove customers’ details from the world’s biggest direct marketing associations and data brokers.

The European Union announced new proposals Wednesday to keep online data private. In the U.S., there is a growing chorus of lawmakers who want to do the same . Currently, there are no state or federal limits on what information can be collected or with whom it can be shared, according to John M. Simpson, director of Consumer Watchdog’s Privacy Project, a California-based non-profit organization. Online data gathered can also be used in marketing housing, insurance, and financial services, Simpson says. For its part, Google policy explicitly states it will never sell users’ personal information or share it without their permission. Fertik says, “The word sell is very loaded. They share or trade data.”

But while members of the public say they are concerned about their online privacy, some studies show that they often do little to protect it — especially when it comes to what they share on social networking sites. Simpson says people need to be better educated about how to protect their data: A 2010 poll conducted by research firm Grove Insight for Consumer Watchdog said 86% of Americans favored the creation of an easy-to-use “anonymous button” that allows individuals to stop anyone from tracking them online. Others say consumers find the convenience of using one company’s myriad of integrated online services compelling. “There is a struggle between the titans of the Internet to provide a seamless experience that captures all your attention – and all your data,” Polonetsky says.

Also See:

Video:

Comments

We welcome thoughtful comments from readers. Please comply with our guidelines. Our blogs do not require the use of your real name.

Comments (5 of 23)

• Tres bon article sur le sujet. merci

• By WebOsPublisher

Copy $ Paste icons « Technical Support Forums
      .bb_smilies border:0; vertical-align: middle; padding-bottom:1px;
      .bb_smilies cursor: pointer; cursor: hand;
      #bbClicker position: absolute; float: right; visibility: hidden; background: buttonface; width: 150px; border:2px inset buttonface; font: 1.2em times, serif;
      #bbClicker img padding:5px;
      #bb_smilies_toggle float:right; padding: 0px 6px 1px 6px; margin: 1px 7px 2px 0; font: 1.2em times, serif; word-spacing: -1px; height: 16px; vertical-align:middle; line-height:16px;’);
      ornj.net
      Navigation
      Home
      About
      Support
      Tip Jar
      Technical Support Forums
      Username
      Password
      or register
      Technical Support Forums » Araneae
      Copy $ Paste icons (17 posts)
      About this Topic
      Started 10 years ago by David
      Latest reply from epp_b
      Tags
      No tags yet.
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      I can’t say how strongly I feel about this one. There is something ‘beautiful’ about Araneae that has me coming back to it despite this one annoyance that I am never able to get over.
      The annoyance is the absence of the copy $ paste icons on the toolbar. I know the argument about different people wanting different icons but the copy $ paste icons are virtually standard on ALL editing applications and their absence is a major annoyance (for me!). Their absence is made all the more noticeable by the inclusion of icons which seem to me to be particularly ‘occasional use’ icons ( like inserting the date or colour).
      I just feel adding these 2 major icons would not affect anything else (there’s plenty of room for them) and would ‘smooth’ operations a lot for a lot of users.
      But thanks for the nice program anyway.
      David
      jay
      Posted 10 years ago
      You should get into the habit of using Ctrl-C for copy and Ctrl-V for paste. You’re typing code anyway, so it’s more convenient to use the keyboard exclusively, rather than having to move one hand towards the mouse for something as simple as copy and paste.
      What we all need are applications with cleaner UIs. A lot of people stick to plain old notepad because it’s simple; the interface is clean, with no buttons cluttering up the window.
      If only it had syntax highlighting…
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      oh I can’t let that one go by without a response. I’m not going imply that YOU should use your mouse more but I think the majority of people are mouse users rather than cntrl key operators.
      Most of my editing work involves pasting and moving around blocks of text. A mouse is much quicker for that. I often hardly touch the keyboard.
      Adding two ‘standard’ icons to the toolbar is hardly cluttering up anything. I’m sure Mr Araneae is not going to remove the toolbar altogether.
      David
      Mark
      Administrator
      Posted 10 years ago
      I’ll admit it’s somewhat of an embarrassing omission. I’ve yet to see another text application that does not include copy and paste icons. They’ll be in Araneae 5.
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      This is good news! Thank you!
      I would like to mention one other little thing – the text of the filename on the tab of a modified file changes colour until it is saved. This is good, but the problem is it is hard to actually see or notice. A red dot or something might be preferable.
      But thanks again for a very nice and simple (to use) program.
      David
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      This is actually to Jay, second from the top of this page. You can nix the toolbar:
      options > view > toolbar (uncheck it.)
      alibaba
      Posted 10 years ago
      copy $ paste icons sucks.
      i use ctrl-c and ctrl-c and i always done it.
      and i dont think alot people use those crap icons.
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      I’d have to agree with alibaba. I find those icons rather useless.
      nurb
      Posted 10 years ago
      i’d have to say i’ve never used copy and paste icons in any program. using ctrl+x/c/v is incredibly faster and if you’re to lazy to type on the keyboard a right click on the mouse is still faster. the thing is even if mark does add icons i don’t have to use them. so if some people want them then why not add them?
      saucy
      Posted 10 years ago
      I personally won’t use the icons, but say add the stupid icons… just in case my grandmom or kid cousin wants to learn some coding basics and needs to cut and paste something… or in case the program is used by somebody that is “all thumbs”
      tetsugin
      Posted 10 years ago
      i agree that using ctrl-c/v is much faster and more widely used, also that the copy and paste icons would be a waste of space on the toolbar. i think a good idea would be to leave the toolbar blank or have some default icons and leave it customizable. this way any1 who wants copy and paste icons can have them and those who dont (me and many others) dont have to deal with them and have more space for our own options .
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      “that the copy and paste icons would be a waste of space on the toolbar”
      “say add the stupid icons… just in case my grandmom or kid cousin wants to learn some coding basics and needs to cut and paste something”
      Wow, now I see why there are so many hopeless programs out there!!! I work full time updating a big multilingual website on a daily basis. Control key operation would be insane in my kind of work I suggest you guys learn how useful a mouse can be!!
      I don’t know if making the toolbar customizable has been mentioned on the wishlist, I would certainly like that, but I will just be very happy to have the cut and paste icons included.
      saucy
      Posted 10 years ago
      David, glad to hear that you “work full time….” doing really important things. Actually… I’m lying. I don’t care.
      these shortcut keys are really the only ones you need to know:
      Ctrl A – select all
      Ctrl S – save
      Ctrl Z – undo
      Ctrl X – cut
      Ctrl C – copy
      Ctrl V – paste
      Ctrl P – print
      And amazingly enough you can use these in countless “hopeless programs” including your webrowser (chances are you have a print icon but none of the others)
      David
      Hello saucy,
      Sorry to bore you with my ‘importantness’. Needless to say I aint important but I do actually USE programs for work.
      Thanks for your list of cntl keys. What you seem unable to grasp is that pressing keys on keyboards is SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW.
      In the big wide world out there, the ubiquitous mouse has become accepted as rather a useful device. I’m sure you and a few others would be happy to continue using just DOS programs but please don’t discourage Mark from catering for the rest of us.
      But don’t lets get too warlike over all this. At least we have one thing in common – a liking for Mark’s Araneae
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      Anyone ever heard of using the mouse and the keyboard? It really works, you know. Select the text you need with the mouse then use ctrl+c (or x, if cutting). Then use the mouse to insert the carot where needed, then simply hit ctrl+v to paste. Yes, it’s really that simple!
      Anyway, I’ll have to agree with David: It’s not worth arguing about!
      Mark, just add the silly icons or a customizable toolbar with those icons in the toolbar options.
      nurb
      Posted 10 years ago
      You guys stil talking about this?
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      Yes, and it is pretty ridiculous that we all keep going on about such a simple subject. But, hey here I am writing about it, so I’ll stop.
      registration requires JavaScript (required)
      Post Content
      ©Copyright 2012 Orangeline Interactive.
      Forums powered by bbPress.

• Online privacy and reputation protection is more vital than ever nowadays with online reputation management firms making hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars annually, monitoring what is being said about them or their business and helping to remove or mitigate falsely spread information about them.

About Real-Time Advice

• How breaking news — in the markets, Washington, and around the world — affects you and your money. Have a question about how current events may change your financial future? Email us at ask@smartmoney.com.