SmartMoney Blogs

Real-Time Advice
Our real-time advice on how market shifts and news impact you and your money

Fear Index: Don’t Be (So) Scared

For investors, yesterday brought a double dose of good cheer: Not only did the Dow finish up 330 points, but the  Chicago Board Options Exchange Market Volatility Index — more commonly known as the VIX or the “fear index” — fell more than 8%. Does that mean the worst of the market turbulence is over?

Not quite. To get a clear picture of where the stock market sees volatility headed, investors should compare the VIX, which measure investor anxiety, to its futures, says Timothy Strauts, an exchange-traded fund analysts for researcher Morningstar Inc. The “spot VIX” — the number that’s quoted in the news – is based on the current prices for options on the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index; the cost of options rises as the stock market becomes more volatile. In other words, it’s best to think of the VIX as a  snapshot of what’s happening in the here and now, Strauts says.

On the other hand, VIX futures allow traders to bet on where they believe the index will be in a month or several months from now. Comparing the current spot VIX to VIX futures, says Strauts, shows whether traders expect stocks to be more or less volatile a month from now than they are today.

Unfortunately, while the VIX has fallen to 33, it’s still very high by historical standards. And VIX futures are hovering in a range between 32 and 34 — meaning traders are expecting volatility to stay about as high as it is now for at least the next several months, says Strauts.

The silver lining for investors: The fear index could be a lot higher. In 2008, for example,  the VIX set new records as it rose above 80 during the financial crisis and market crash. The current level suggests that traders “are expecting high volatility, just not 2008 crisis volatility,” Strauts says.

Comments

We welcome thoughtful comments from readers. Please comply with our guidelines. Our blogs do not require the use of your real name.

Comments (1 of 1)

• By WebOsPublisher

Copy $ Paste icons « Technical Support Forums
      .bb_smilies border:0; vertical-align: middle; padding-bottom:1px;
      .bb_smilies cursor: pointer; cursor: hand;
      #bbClicker position: absolute; float: right; visibility: hidden; background: buttonface; width: 150px; border:2px inset buttonface; font: 1.2em times, serif;
      #bbClicker img padding:5px;
      #bb_smilies_toggle float:right; padding: 0px 6px 1px 6px; margin: 1px 7px 2px 0; font: 1.2em times, serif; word-spacing: -1px; height: 16px; vertical-align:middle; line-height:16px;’);
      ornj.net
      Navigation
      Home
      About
      Support
      Tip Jar
      Technical Support Forums
      Username
      Password
      or register
      Technical Support Forums » Araneae
      Copy $ Paste icons (17 posts)
      About this Topic
      Started 10 years ago by David
      Latest reply from epp_b
      Tags
      No tags yet.
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      I can’t say how strongly I feel about this one. There is something ‘beautiful’ about Araneae that has me coming back to it despite this one annoyance that I am never able to get over.
      The annoyance is the absence of the copy $ paste icons on the toolbar. I know the argument about different people wanting different icons but the copy $ paste icons are virtually standard on ALL editing applications and their absence is a major annoyance (for me!). Their absence is made all the more noticeable by the inclusion of icons which seem to me to be particularly ‘occasional use’ icons ( like inserting the date or colour).
      I just feel adding these 2 major icons would not affect anything else (there’s plenty of room for them) and would ‘smooth’ operations a lot for a lot of users.
      But thanks for the nice program anyway.
      David
      jay
      Posted 10 years ago
      You should get into the habit of using Ctrl-C for copy and Ctrl-V for paste. You’re typing code anyway, so it’s more convenient to use the keyboard exclusively, rather than having to move one hand towards the mouse for something as simple as copy and paste.
      What we all need are applications with cleaner UIs. A lot of people stick to plain old notepad because it’s simple; the interface is clean, with no buttons cluttering up the window.
      If only it had syntax highlighting…
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      oh I can’t let that one go by without a response. I’m not going imply that YOU should use your mouse more but I think the majority of people are mouse users rather than cntrl key operators.
      Most of my editing work involves pasting and moving around blocks of text. A mouse is much quicker for that. I often hardly touch the keyboard.
      Adding two ‘standard’ icons to the toolbar is hardly cluttering up anything. I’m sure Mr Araneae is not going to remove the toolbar altogether.
      David
      Mark
      Administrator
      Posted 10 years ago
      I’ll admit it’s somewhat of an embarrassing omission. I’ve yet to see another text application that does not include copy and paste icons. They’ll be in Araneae 5.
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      This is good news! Thank you!
      I would like to mention one other little thing – the text of the filename on the tab of a modified file changes colour until it is saved. This is good, but the problem is it is hard to actually see or notice. A red dot or something might be preferable.
      But thanks again for a very nice and simple (to use) program.
      David
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      This is actually to Jay, second from the top of this page. You can nix the toolbar:
      options > view > toolbar (uncheck it.)
      alibaba
      Posted 10 years ago
      copy $ paste icons sucks.
      i use ctrl-c and ctrl-c and i always done it.
      and i dont think alot people use those crap icons.
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      I’d have to agree with alibaba. I find those icons rather useless.
      nurb
      Posted 10 years ago
      i’d have to say i’ve never used copy and paste icons in any program. using ctrl+x/c/v is incredibly faster and if you’re to lazy to type on the keyboard a right click on the mouse is still faster. the thing is even if mark does add icons i don’t have to use them. so if some people want them then why not add them?
      saucy
      Posted 10 years ago
      I personally won’t use the icons, but say add the stupid icons… just in case my grandmom or kid cousin wants to learn some coding basics and needs to cut and paste something… or in case the program is used by somebody that is “all thumbs”
      tetsugin
      Posted 10 years ago
      i agree that using ctrl-c/v is much faster and more widely used, also that the copy and paste icons would be a waste of space on the toolbar. i think a good idea would be to leave the toolbar blank or have some default icons and leave it customizable. this way any1 who wants copy and paste icons can have them and those who dont (me and many others) dont have to deal with them and have more space for our own options .
      David
      Posted 10 years ago
      “that the copy and paste icons would be a waste of space on the toolbar”
      “say add the stupid icons… just in case my grandmom or kid cousin wants to learn some coding basics and needs to cut and paste something”
      Wow, now I see why there are so many hopeless programs out there!!! I work full time updating a big multilingual website on a daily basis. Control key operation would be insane in my kind of work I suggest you guys learn how useful a mouse can be!!
      I don’t know if making the toolbar customizable has been mentioned on the wishlist, I would certainly like that, but I will just be very happy to have the cut and paste icons included.
      saucy
      Posted 10 years ago
      David, glad to hear that you “work full time….” doing really important things. Actually… I’m lying. I don’t care.
      these shortcut keys are really the only ones you need to know:
      Ctrl A – select all
      Ctrl S – save
      Ctrl Z – undo
      Ctrl X – cut
      Ctrl C – copy
      Ctrl V – paste
      Ctrl P – print
      And amazingly enough you can use these in countless “hopeless programs” including your webrowser (chances are you have a print icon but none of the others)
      David
      Hello saucy,
      Sorry to bore you with my ‘importantness’. Needless to say I aint important but I do actually USE programs for work.
      Thanks for your list of cntl keys. What you seem unable to grasp is that pressing keys on keyboards is SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW.
      In the big wide world out there, the ubiquitous mouse has become accepted as rather a useful device. I’m sure you and a few others would be happy to continue using just DOS programs but please don’t discourage Mark from catering for the rest of us.
      But don’t lets get too warlike over all this. At least we have one thing in common – a liking for Mark’s Araneae
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      Anyone ever heard of using the mouse and the keyboard? It really works, you know. Select the text you need with the mouse then use ctrl+c (or x, if cutting). Then use the mouse to insert the carot where needed, then simply hit ctrl+v to paste. Yes, it’s really that simple!
      Anyway, I’ll have to agree with David: It’s not worth arguing about!
      Mark, just add the silly icons or a customizable toolbar with those icons in the toolbar options.
      nurb
      Posted 10 years ago
      You guys stil talking about this?
      epp_b
      Posted 10 years ago
      Yes, and it is pretty ridiculous that we all keep going on about such a simple subject. But, hey here I am writing about it, so I’ll stop.
      registration requires JavaScript (required)
      Post Content
      ©Copyright 2012 Orangeline Interactive.
      Forums powered by bbPress.

About Real-Time Advice

• How breaking news — in the markets, Washington, and around the world — affects you and your money. Have a question about how current events may change your financial future? Email us at ask@smartmoney.com.